Memories of my Jessye

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Antoinettes posts about her & Mishka's dear friend Jessie's death has brought on a flood of memories about my own beloved Grey, Jessye. He was my grandfathers bird. He got Jessye in about 1950, a bit before I was born. Gramps was a milkman in a wealthy neighborhood. One of his customers got the bird, and it bit him a few times, and he lost patience with the bird and didn't want him anymore. My grandparents were raised on farms, and the guy thought they'd be better suited to handle the bird since they were familiar with animals. So, he gave my grandfather the bird. They took to each other immediately. We think Jessye was a wild caught baby, because back then there were few breeders. There are so many wonderful memories of Jessye before he became mine, when my grandfather passed away. My grandmother would bake him his own cornbread, with nuts in it. Since they were farm raised, they had a huge garden, and canned many vegetables. The bird ate all kinds of veggies. That's probably why he lived so long. I was 41 when I got him, making him a bit older. He lived with me for 9 years. I found him at the bottom of his cage one morning dead. He had wrapped himself up in a small blanket that he liked to cuddle in. He had arthritic feet, so spent a lot of time on the floor of his home. I had modified his cage to suit his disability. I had him cremated, and spread his ashes on my grandfathers grave. So, they could be together on this earth, as I knew they again finally were, on the other side of that Rainbow Bridge. Thank you, Antoinette, for bringing back such great memories of one of the best friends I have ever had.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
BillsBirds, you now have me in tears.........what a wonderful story to share
Jessye sure was loved so much, and had a wonderful life
You were both blessed to have shared such a wonderful bird/human experience

OP
BillsBirds

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Thank you, all. Jessye was quite a bird. He was one of the main inspirations for my lifelong love of birds. And is sadly missed to this very day.

TREETREE

Mar 3, 2012
Pocatello Idaho
Parrots
had a green cheek conure and he died last July , I was so sad Now I am so blessed to have adopted a grey named Lucy 5 years old!!!
What a very sad and loving story, I miss my little green cheek so much he was my little best friend, wanted to sleep with me but could never take a chance that I might smash him in my sleep he was a cuddler. and loved giving me kisses and grooming my eyelashes and eyebrows silly boy. He talked too said chicken head thanks to my husband teaching him to say it also he would say hi hi hi over and over and also say my dogs name tuffy and other words I couldn't understand very well. Miss him so much still makes me cry to think of him. He was my angel:green:

Last edited:

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
What a nice and teering stori. I think that jessies life was a perfect perrotlife. And trough you she is still living.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
When ever I read this thread, I am in tears, having lost 2 AG's I share Bill's pain and memories.
Yes Bill... we would LOVE to see pic's of Jessye.......... do you have any videos as well.

Tell you what Bill, you adore :grey: so much, :grey: is now going to do something for you

COMING SOON !!!!!!!!!! (hehe) surprise surprise

Most Reactions

Latest posts