Merlin had some beer! :(

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Merlin pulled a can of beer onto himself, so presumably drank some. I washed him off immediately (he began sulking!)

After the wash he was shivering a bit (the water wasn't that warm, but not from the cold tap either!) but now he's playing and being normal. Just a bit anxious about him as obviously beer is not exactly good for them.

Should I be worried, or just keep an eye on him for 24hrs type thing?

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
lol keep an eye on hum, nuts partial to my wine!!! not that i give her any!!!

alcohol is toxic to birds like it is to us, so just plently of water, he might have munchies tomorrow morning but i cannot imagine anything worse then that from a gulp max of beer (unless its special brew! you'll have an asbo bird!) lol

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Just a little shoudn't be an issue,my Jake would drink beer years ago when i was in my late teens ,early twenties (35 yrs ago) and suffered no ill affects that i know of.Now days she just licks the sweat off of soda pop cans ,LOL

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
He's fine, (or... as fine as Merlin can ever be :p) he doesn't seem to have any side effects. Glad to know other birds have had a tipple of alcohol with no adverse effects. Can't wait to move, no smokers and no unsupervised drinks!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I've never heard of a bird dying from alcohol poisoning but several who have drown in a glass or cup.I've seen wild birds "drunk" from eating fermenting rice after a ship wreck,and they were pretty helpless ,flopping around on the ground and such.I think most all of them survived except the ones who fell victim to predators.

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
I've never heard of a bird dying from alcohol poisoning but several who have drown in a glass or cup.I've seen wild birds "drunk" from eating fermenting rice after a ship wreck,and they were pretty helpless ,flopping around on the ground and such.I think most all of them survived except the ones who fell victim to predators.

I forgot about them getting it in the wild :D I'm just happy to know the odd bit that he manages to steal (I'm sure you all know just how troublesome parrots are!) that he's not going to die off it. :cool:

dknight8919

Dec 31, 2011
Kentucky
Parrots
GW Macaw 'Punky', Pineapple GC Conure 'Baby'
Merlin needs to show proof of ID. Be sure you remind him not to drive!!!!

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
While I would never advocate giving alcohol to a bird, he should be fine. Even though I tend to be quite the drinker myself, I make sure the birds never get any, although I know a guy with an umbrella cockatoo and he gives him alcohol all the time. I couldn't tell you how many pictures there are of the bird with an upturned cup or can in his beak. :( I'm sure in the long run it will certainly affect him, but so far, it hasn't hurt him.

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin is just curious, he occasionaaaaaaaally gets a sip when we leave an 'empty' can unattended, and he tips it over and rolls it around for a while. But doesn't seem to be too bad, it's usually the tinest drop.

He's okay tho, just we keep an eye out more for alcohol when Merlins around :p

Most Reactions

Latest posts