Met a macaw for the first time ever!

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Whew! How exciting that was! I was on my home from my two month long trip with my boyfriend, and we decided that we'd make a pit stop in Calgary while on our way back from southern BC to Saskatoon. I will admit, I was a bit terrified coming home because I was scared how my birds would react... but all that happened was Avery giving me a stern talking to before coming out and demanding lots of love and cuddles. Shiko greeted me with a big ol' "HELLO!" when I walked into the room, and they were both more than happy to have me back. Phew! It probably helped that I walked through the door with toys and food for them, and afterwards constructed a new small play area for them. I'll have to put pictures up when I'm home from work.

But that aside and exciting news in (for me at least!), I met my first ever macaw! It was absolutely exciting. My adrenaline was pumping so much because I was so incredibly thrilled to see one face-to-face. I spent about 30 minutes talking to (presumably) her through the cage bars and petting her whenever she invited me to, which they indeed do! Though I won't lie, I was worried she was trying to pull the ever famous "tricked ya" move that I've heard Birdman talk about. Thank goodness she was a sweet heart and took pity on me.

She also must have realized I was obsessed with her because she fluffed up real pretty, gave me the sweetest look, and knew right away I'd be mush in her claws. Unfortunately when I was offered the chance to hold her, her chosen person took her from her cage, gave her excessive love, and then magically expected me to be able to hold her... NOPE. She clearly wanted little to do with me and everything to do with the store employee. I've never really seen or experienced a very obvious "chosen person" before. My birds adore me, but I'm not the only big bright light in their world. This employee definitely was for this macaw. I was thankful she was courteous enough to let me pet her and snuggle her a bit before giving me a gentle reminder with her big, pretty beak (gently clamped down on my right hand but I was able to just make a fist and remove my hand... no broken skin!) that I wasn't her favorite person.

And to be honest I was expecting her to be bigger, especially considering that she was a supposed greenwing crossed with a Buffon's macaw. Which I doubt, because from what I know of there is only one Buffon's macaw breeder in Canada and I don't think they sell hybrids. I know both of those birds are big, big birds... and well, she wasn't in my eyes. But I guess she was only a baby. She was also only $5000, and the Buffon's and GW's sell for $7500 and $4000 respectively from that breeder. Either way, seeing my first macaw just confirmed for me how much I'd love to have one some day. Buuuut not for awhile, because I recognize how big of an investment they are. Buuuuuut I can also dream and obsess over how cute she is!

Here are a few pictures of her :) :

56FCB987-AD0D-45FD-94E0-D3358164F803_zpsflfwerds.jpg

313C39A0-A6E0-450E-A114-B09EA2AAFF42_zpspvtkoqqm.jpg

AF7B399D-5B44-4A19-A5F9-EDD1ECAF4FB2_zpsnpgogltz.jpg

Unfortunately my boyfriend and I were so excited about me holding her that we didn't get any pictures of her on me. I always knew I was obsessed with macaws (I actually have a flight feather of a blue and gold that I received for donating money to the local rescue), but this encounter only encouraged a giant flare up of MBS, the macaw strain, hahaha!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Chantal, how exciting!!! Wish you could have taken a detour by Edmonton and said hi:)
That Mac is gorgeous!
I'm so glad that Avery & Shiko didn't give you too hard a time upon your return.
I'd love to hear more about your trip! Where all did you go?

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
He's a beautiful boy. :) I love the big fids. I'll probably never get one, I'm middle aged and always worry about their long life spans, it would probably send me to an early grave worried about what would happen to them after I'm gone. :)

OP
Dinosrawr

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Thanks, Terry! We were honestly thinking about it because my boyfriend really wanted me to see and handle a macaw. If we were, I was going to message you! We went to Prince George to see my family, Dawson Creek so I could be a bridesmaid at my best friend's wedding, Kamloops, and then to Adam's lake before heading back. My boyfriend met me in Dawson after he went on a four day hike on Mount Robson. He took some gorgeous photos! I got some nice photos of Adams lake, but this was one of my favorites:

DF38E8F5-26BD-451B-9695-3426AB122C2D_zps7a1haspp.jpg

And isn't he just gorgeous, Mimsy? I worry about it too, but I'm only turning 24 next month. I'm hoping to grow old with a macaw one day :) I'm also hoping to adopt a macaw over the age of 12, but it's pretty specific and there's not a large amount of macaws near me that need rescuing. My province is very, very underpopulated. 651, 000 square kilometers and just over 1 million people, haha!

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
Ya if an older rescue fell into place I might consider it. ;P

You should, I think I would of loved growing old with a parrot if I would of gotten one when I was your age.

Beautiful photo.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Chantal, I'm so glad you had one of your dreams come true :). How fun. But yeah, she IS BIG!! LOL. The photo of the lake is gorgeous too. I love the blue effects!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hahaha! Congrats on your first macaw experience, Chantal! That beak can be a bit intimidating the first time, no? But in that respect, maybe it's good you started out with a smaller big guy.

And once that time comes when you're ready to get a macaw, I have no doubt you'll be a magnificent macaw parront! I think you have exactly the right temperament for one.

Oh, and that photo of the lake was nothing short of magnificent! You've got skills with a camera lens, my friend!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Wow, Chantal! What a wonderful experience and a gorgeous macaw! I hope you have an opportunity to realize your dream of having a macaw for a long time companion, I think you're more than suited to be a mac's mom!

That photo of Adams lake is an award winner, absolutely lovely.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Awww... what a pretty girl! I'm glad you got to meet one in real life! They are getting more and more rare to see in pet shops.

Also glad you babies were excited to see you and accepted your bribes;)

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Wow so beautiful and look at the enormous beak!! I am scaredy cat :eek:, whereas my daughter is FEARLESS :54: when it comes to larger birds. She will pick them up with no problem, and walk around sometimes with one hanging on each arm. :30:

The largest bird I have held was a galah. :D Probably because the small beak didn't intimidate me as much as those larger beaks do. :09: Kiwi's beak is very small and she can inflict a really good bite if she wants too, even draw blood. :21:

I think its wonderful that you were able to experience the joy of such a large creature.

OP
Dinosrawr

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Ya if an older rescue fell into place I might consider it.

You should, I think I would of loved growing old with a parrot if I would of gotten one when I was your age.

Beautiful photo.

Thanks, Mimsy! I'm hoping I'll be fortunate enough to have one soon!

Chantal, I'm so glad you had one of your dreams come true :). How fun. But yeah, she IS BIG!! LOL. The photo of the lake is gorgeous too. I love the blue effects!

I must have my expectations too high for a macaw, hahaha. I'd never want a really large macaw, I was just thinking goodness, she's so tiny! And thanks Julie, I tweaked it a bit here and there to emphasize the blue. It was just so pretty :)

Hahaha! Congrats on your first macaw experience, Chantal! That beak can be a bit intimidating the first time, no? But in that respect, maybe it's good you started out with a smaller big guy.

And once that time comes when you're ready to get a macaw, I have no doubt you'll be a magnificent macaw parront! I think you have exactly the right temperament for one.

Oh, and that photo of the lake was nothing short of magnificent! You've got skills with a camera lens, my friend!

Thanks, Stephen! I was more intimidated by the beak of a BFA that was there than I was of this macaw's. My boyfriend couldn't make sense of it either, but I guess I just find macaws too fascinating to be bothered by their big chompers :p

Wow, Chantal! What a wonderful experience and a gorgeous macaw! I hope you have an opportunity to realize your dream of having a macaw for a long time companion, I think you're more than suited to be a mac's mom!

That photo of Adams lake is an award winner, absolutely lovely.

Thank you, Allee! I'm hoping my future macaw thinks that too. I have a few other pictures I got of the moon in the mountains that turned out nicely as well. It's amazing what a phone and a few apps can create nowadays.

Awww... what a pretty girl! I'm glad you got to meet one in real life! They are getting more and more rare to see in pet shops.

Also glad you babies were excited to see you and accepted your bribes;)

I was surprised too, April. We went there thinking of just looking at toys, but as soon as we walked in we saw the macaw. I don't particularly care to see macaws in stores because they often don't receive the care and love they require, especially in a chain store that doesn't specialize in birds to begin with. I also have no idea where they acquire them from, which can also be a huge concern from me. I mean, a green wing crossed with a Buffon's? Buffon's are super rare to begin with... why hybridize the beautiful thing? But I digress.

I was also glad my babies accepted my bribes! My boyfriend's parents weren't very "impressed" though... as soon as I was home they became chopped liver :54:

Wow so beautiful and look at the enormous beak!! I am scaredy cat :eek:, whereas my daughter is FEARLESS :54: when it comes to larger birds. She will pick them up with no problem, and walk around sometimes with one hanging on each arm. :30:

The largest bird I have held was a galah. :D Probably because the small beak didn't intimidate me as much as those larger beaks do. :09: Kiwi's beak is very small and she can inflict a really good bite if she wants too, even draw blood.

I think its wonderful that you were able to experience the joy of such a large creature.

Galahs are beautiful birds. I'd love to handle one and play with one some day. I honestly find small-medium sized beaks way more intimidating than I do the really big beaks... I have no idea why. Maybe my birds have conditioned me well, haha! Your daughter must have a strong macaw gene within her, I'm envious!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Probably a greenwing military cross... Looks like a baby Woody (my foster Shamrock.)

But yeah, I keep telling people don't be afraid of the beaks, cuz they're so much fun.

Last edited:
OP
Dinosrawr

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
I was thinking that too, considering the size and price. I wanted to play with her so bad, but it wasn't going to happen. Her chosen person was right beside me and she had zero interest in me... maybe next time :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts