Micro green tray with soil sprouted seeds nuts and some veg

Shaz UK

Aug 17, 2023
Parrots
Quaker parrot
I'm trying to get my baby quaker parrot to eat better. She's almost four months and we're stuck on her been very reluctant to try things beside seed although we've had a break through with her eating some pellets if in puzzle toys or nibble some veg off kebab sticks. She tends to get angry at kebab skewers in her area try to pull the veg in question to throw it then realise she likes it once it's in her beak lol. She's ate and tried more when presented with opportunity to play with her food or forage so I'm thinking of setting up a micro tray on the ground with sprouted seeds nuts some veg to encourage her to forage from what I've found out Quakers in wild are ground feeders and this could be natural behaviour for her too for enrichment

Feb 17, 2024
Tulsa
Parrots
Sunny (lutino budgie)
Sky (yellowface budgie)
Pixie (dilute budgie)
That's what I do. I went without birds for a few years, and just got the two in my avi, it's how I got them to finally eat something that wasn't seed. I keep two seed bowls in rotation, I sift pearlite out of the soil so they don't think it's seed (but I'm assuming that by tray you have one of the kits with coir, so should be safe). Then I sprinkle in a few special seeds for variety, like broccoli, or some herb cuttings. Then I add bird food seed, cover with sifted soil, and wait :).

With the first couple of bowls, I threw seed on top of the sprouts, to get them to explore. Somewhere along the way, Sky figured out how tasty they were, and Sunny watched him eat and soon copied him. Now I don't need to toss on seed anymore. I keep a bowl in the cage and mist it, when it looks like it needs a break, I swap them out.

I clean out the bowl when It looks ragged. Every couple of weeks, I run the soil through the oven, and restart every now and again to keep things tidy. I always run through the oven in case mites got in, though I haven't seen sign of them so far.

Most Reactions