Midsize Aluminum Kings travel cage.

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Looks like Kings Cages got their new production house going and now have their medium travel cage back in stock.

King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More

Has anyone purchased this yet? Weight is 18lbs

I currently have a Midwest Avian Hotel, about the same size, painted steel, about 22 lbs

Here's my Amazon review on it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...ef=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0018CDYVG

I'm actually quite happy with the Avian Hotel which we use to house Nike while we are camping but I really wanted the Kings Cage but it wasn't available when I needed it.

The Kings Cage is $279 and the Avian Hotel is about $80 so there's a big price difference.

I'm just curious if anyone has the Kings cage and how they like it.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I can definitely help you on this, Bill, as I own two of the mid-size aluminum King's travel cages (before they stopped production) AND I also owned the Midwest Avian Hotel (I was expecting to welcome another bird into my flock, but he died before I could take him in.)

The Kings version is exceptional. VERY solid construction where everything seems to fit into place with adamantine finality. Lol! And putting it together was a breeze! No tools! I'm actually a little jealous seeing the new version, though, as they have fixed the only issue I've EVER had with their travel cages: the cups! For some inexplicable reason, despite the quality in every other aspect of the cages, they were equipped with plastic cups! Not cool. But the new ones now say they come with stainless steel cups. Whaaaaaaaaat?!? Grumble, grumble.

The Midwest is a really good travel cage as well. It only suffers in comparison to the Kings Cage. It feels nowhere near as solid and yes, tie straps are needed to make it more secure. I didn't use them for the issue you mentioned in your review, but rather for the handle/outside perch at the top of the cage. A hard enough jostling could knock the cage free of the handle. So I strapped 2 wraps on either side in an x-shape to secure the handle to the cage top.

Is it worth the nearly $200 price difference? If you have an escape artist or a bird that tends to be tough (along the lines of absolutely brutal) on his cage... yes. Otherwise, probably not.

Most Reactions