Might be getting a Little Corella

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
Well next week I might be getting a little corella/bare eyed too.
A friend of mine owns him and they rescued him but since they are moving overseas they were wondering if I would take him.

I have no experience with a cockatoo. They did try to find a home for him but they just couldn't find the right person.

They asked me as I'm a bird lover and they said they know I take extremely good care of my fids.
They are moving next week. I think Sunday.

I think I will take him.
He does have a bald head though. I did ask what it was from but they said they got him like that. They said it wasn't mites(been treated). And there aren't many disease's in NZ a bird can catch.

I kind of want to know what im getting into. ;p
So does anyone have experience with a little corella/bare eyed cockatoo?
Also how big are they?

JaxAttack

Feb 28, 2012
South Africa
Parrots
Jax the Bare eyed Cockatoo and Pepi the Budgie
Hi Ash
Jax is my Bare eyed baby. He is the absolute love of my life. Their bond to humans are very deep. I socialized him with as many people as I could from day one, and today he is instantly in love with anyone offering him a kiss and cuddle.

They get very excited when they play and can get a bit nippy. But he has never been aggressive towards anyone . I free fly him, as I said they form very strong bonds. When we are outside he never wanders far.

Showers shower shower... I have the dirtiest little bugger on planet earth, and get alot of grief from everyone, but he is happy. Always busy attacking toys on the ground and rolling around like a proper clown.

Jax is roughly the size of the Congo grey, but much more slender.
I can write books about him, but bottom line is, he is a companion million. His sun up and sundown dance is terrible, sometime funny, but other times I just want to run away. Very vocal :)

I am sure you will fall in love with your little corella. They do demand a lot of attention though... And they are very very smart, instantly knows what they are not allowed to touch, and then wait for you to turn your back lol I have some phodies on my profile.

Good luck!

OP
Ash

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
Thanks,
They sound like the bird I would love to have!
I haven't seen a grey in person but by looking at your profile pic they don't seem to be too big. :D

From what ive been reading they have been called "the ultimate companion pet", extremely itelligent and are clowns.
And that they love to dance.

Ive been told that Charlie(the bare eyed cockatoo im getting) is very vocal. Im pretty sure where I put my birdies is far away enough from the neighbours. :p

I hope so. Are they loud?
I do have 2 alexandrines and they can be pretty loud.

jlockhart29

Oct 27, 2011
I have had Aerial for about two months. She has been a doll. She was clipped after fledging so that she could be out with public till weaned. Just last week she started flying again!! She has taken to the Aviator Harness very easy.
She eats her pellets great but fruits are nasty and vegs free choice are not real loved. However she will eat just about anything we feed her off our plate! Loves to take a a shower every night with me.
She is well socialized and pretty much bullet proof so far. Dogs, cats, weed eaters and Harley she takes all in stride. She weighs 235 grams this morning. She goes to anyone but I'm her favorite making sure she spends time with my wife.
She's not a screamer but I do all I can to discourage it. Any screaming is ignored period. A soft call will bring me running with a treat!

Last edited:

JaxAttack

Feb 28, 2012
South Africa
Parrots
Jax the Bare eyed Cockatoo and Pepi the Budgie
Wow jlock... Aerial is so cute! And such a small little girl. Jax weighed in at 395g this morning :)
About eating habits, I sometimes want to give up. He is such a clown. He will eat absolutely anything that's on my plate. He will not touch pellets, I have to grind them up and mix it with nice warm water and cooked oats twice a day. Then he suddenly loves it.
I sprout a mix of sunflower seeds, lentils and other weird stuff for him daily. He loves that.
Then also sometimes after his pellet oats porridge, he asks for scrambled eggs. I make it without oil or butter, 20 seconds in microwave.
I can go on...but as you can see it is a lengthy process every morning. But man, is that baby worth every second.

Jax is LOUD... he is so excited about sunup he can burst. He flies around and around screaming for about 5min non stop. But after that, straight back to the offwhite angel he is.

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
I have had Aerial for about two months. She has been a doll. She was clipped after fledging so that she could be out with public till weaned. Just last week she started flying again!! She has taken to the Aviator Harness very easy.
She eats her pellets great but fruits are nasty and vegs free choice are not real loved. However she will eat just about anything we feed her off our plate! Loves to take a a shower every night with me.
She is well socialized and pretty much bullet proof so far. Dogs, cats, weed eaters and Harley she takes all in stride. She weighs 235 grams this morning. She goes to anyone but I'm her favorite making sure she spends time with my wife.
She's not a screamer but I do all I can to discourage it. Any screaming is ignored period. A soft call will bring me running with a treat!

What size aviator do you have for her?

jlockhart29

Oct 27, 2011

What size aviator do you have for her?

I got her the Small and it fits fine. Any smaller and would be hard to get on and off.

Most Reactions