Jun 7, 2012
Media
Scranton PA
Parrots
Darwin- Male Ekkie
Charlie- Cinnamon GCC
Twiggy- Cockatiel
RIP Paco, Jack, and Echo </3
A business that isn't extremely far from me has been getting in a lot of sun conures and jenday conures. They seem well socialized by the pictures. They are still too young to come home so I have time to save. I was wondering if someone can give me advice on how to prevent behavior problems early on. Such as attention screaming. Most articles vaguely tell you how to correct a bird that is already doing it. I haven't found anything about raising your conure not to have these issues in the first place. I plan on giving the bird as big of a cage as possible and fill it with plenty of different toys that will be rotated. I also plan to leave his wings intact so he can fly around and get exercise. I want to train him to a harness so I can take him outside to get fresh air and sunlight. I will get him used to fresh fruits, vegetables, and cooked foods from an early age so he has a proper diet. I plan to ignore his screams the best I can and make a contact call out of that fart sound that all conures make. Is there anything else I can do to make him a well rounded happy pet?

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Have you though about adopting from a shelter instead of a baby? A Helping Wing has quite a few conures and amazons....since I see you have one of those... and scranton isn't all that far from Blairstown NJ....:54:

Anyway, if you don't over bond him you have a greater chance of the screaming not becoming an issue. I didn't wait for the screaming to start. Whenever he was a little loud I'd ignore him and start the call I wanted. And I would hold him up to me when he was being quiet and give the call so it would be pretty obvious I was talking to him. He has learned his name though and that seems to work as well as any call I make up these days.

A thing I do is put up baskets filled with foot toys and some food to keep him busy. So even if I'm home he is busy and doesn't need to come out to spend time with me. I have made his cage a huge positive and haven't over bonded him so when he thinks I'm boring he will tell me he actually would rather be in his cage. (By being loud if I'm not catching on fast enough:rolleyes:)

I really believe socialization is the key to keeping the screaming at a minimum. Too much attention and he can't handle being by himself. Too little and he is bored to death especially if he doesn't have a lot of things to do to keep him occupied. Both can cause screaming so you have to find that happy medium. Of course contact calls and not being overly responsive to loudness helps too:)

And FYI I've tried that whole fresh food thing from an early age with my sun (got him when he was just weaned) and he still thinks I'm poisoning him when I offer anything fresh:rolleyes: Even when he sees everyone else eating it he just looks at them like they are crazy....

OP
pacoparrot

pacoparrot

Jun 7, 2012
Media
Scranton PA
Parrots
Darwin- Male Ekkie
Charlie- Cinnamon GCC
Twiggy- Cockatiel
RIP Paco, Jack, and Echo </3
Well the thing is all of my birds are from rescues. But the majority of them can't be worked with. I had a baby eclectus that I handfed myself and I had her for 4 years but she passed away due to a freak flyaway accident. I want a baby because there is certain things I want to teach it that only a baby would be open enough to learn. I'd like to harness train my next bird. I'd also like to work on clicker training and young socialized birds are best for that. I already have 2 green cheek conures but I was only planning on getting one sun conure. You're advice is good, I'm going to save it. But I can't drive to New Jersey though. I work for a local parrot rescue but they don't have any birds that I can work with at the time.

Most Reactions

Latest posts