Mika Update - One week: Beginnings of a Velcro Bird?

Shyloh

Jul 2, 2016
Canada
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures - Mika, Sam
Pearly Conure - Luna
Yellow Sided Green Cheek - Indy
Blue crown conure - Scooby
Love birds - Teeka, Kiwi and Mango
Sun Conure - Dolly
Quaker - Shakey
I'm pretty sure my green cheek is quickly turning into a velcro bird. Today Mika just would not leave me be when I got home from work, she seemed to need one foot on me at all times. She was also quite bitey but I think that was because she wasn't able to get out as much today.

I'm also noticing some new sounds from her. I do this tongue clicking thing and tonight she seemed to be mimicking it. Mom swears she heard something similar to good come from her today and we think we've heard thank you a few times. The people that we got her from hand fed her from hatching and have taught their other birds to talk so I wouldn't doubt it's a combination of from them and me. Or we could just be imagining it, I don't know how quickly they learn.

She's definitely exceeding my expectations of how smart she is, especially when she seems to be picking it up really quickly, I've only had her just over a week now. The most I seem to hear from her is as I'm covering her, she's not so fond of that.

She's also figured out that if the door to her cage is backwards in the cage, she can come out, if its open towards the outside it's a quick pet in the morning and me changing food/water for her and to stay put.

I feel like I'm going to need some help with potty training, so if anyone has any tips that would be fantastic, she seems to wait until I take her out of the cage and then just goes wherever, although it seems to be restricted to a lamp now.

Not bad for only having her just over a week though!

Last edited:

Most Reactions