Mind=Blown

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
Wow! So I just went and got the pretty chicken out of her house. I usually give her an hour or so to eat breakfast before I take her out. A hungry chicken is a grouchy chicken.

Anyway, when I take her out, I always say "good morning, chicken". Well, this morning, she said it back! She is becoming much more talkative lately, and not just "in the closet". Last night we were sitting on the couch watching TV and out of no where, she said "what are you doing?"

Maybe the "good morning, chicken" was my reward for throwing an almond in her breakfast this morning.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Wonderful news!!

I'm telling you, to keep it from going underground, keep treats close by at all times 👍

OP
OutlawedSpirit

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
Wonderful news!!

I'm telling you, to keep it from going underground, keep treats close by at all times 👍

Yea, I think I might go grab some popcorn today when I have to run errands. I want to try it to see if she likes it.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Hee hee what a pleasant surprise you got in the morning...that almond sure was well earned...now that the chattering has started it will grow and grow wait and see :)

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
wonderful news!...i just keep thinking "be careful what you wish for" ...my husband is threatening to teach Liesl how to burp. Just a random thought, but keep an empty coffee cup around and show her how to talk into it. They love hearing themselves and the echo, maybe it could encourage her to expand her range? Saw this on a video and it was absolutely hysterical. The green bean entertained himself (and me)for quite a while.

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
Isn't it awesome! I love getting surprises like that!

My latest surprise is that when the dog barks, Dexter says "Stop it!" It's only happened a handful of times and I'm still not sure if it's coincidental or intentional, but I rewarded him handsomely when I caught it.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That's great :). It's fun hearing them surprise us with a new word. I'm fortunate my 3 boys all talk, and it never gets old, I love hearing it everyday!

jess.reco

Sep 16, 2014
Downunder - Australia
Parrots
Tequila - Solomon Island
You're all so lucky! My girl doesn't talk much at all, she just mumbles.

The best I can is cute little whistles. We'll whistle to each other :)

happy410

Jul 23, 2015
ALABAMA
Parrots
Happy, DYH Amazon
Tesla, Blue & Gold Macaw
That's great. My Amazon has been alot more talkative lately. He always says" what you doing, huh" now he's added a word to the sentence asking "what you been doing? Huh" He finally told me good morning, I knew he was saying it just never to me. Our all time favorite is one day he kept saying " Hello Frankford" we have no idea who Frankford is or where he got that from. He also gets all talkative and ask "Who wants a backpack", again we don't know how that one got started. I love to hear him, it never gets old.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
It is funny..you try to teach them some thing and they pick up and say something else. I have yet to be able to get Salty to talk on command.
My little Maxie used to though. If you asked Max "What's a pirate say?" , Max would say "Aarrrrgghh!", with his little chest proudly puffed out.

Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
That's your ekkie, right? They have the cutest voices, they just melt your heart!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Sweet! I love surprises like that! Mind blowing, indeed.

Most Reactions