Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
It was a success :D! I haven't seen my girl Mink this happy in a long time :).

Today we took the divider out of the double flight cage. Well, actually when I got home I found that Don had already done it. I had to scold him for not waiting until I got home! I saw them both on Chip's side of the cage hanging out together. I observed them for a while, and I'm pleased at the way they're getting along. There is some bickering going on, but not fighting. Some amount of beaking and bickering is to be expected when establishing their association with each other.

I witnessed them sharing toys, sitting together, and...... even kissing :)

My beautiful normal and cinnamon English budgies

Well Hiiii there cutie

Don't they look good together?

Filling Chip in on all the secrets..

Sharing toys

He had to try out all the new toys

My beautiful little cuties

GraciesMom

Apr 9, 2016
California
Parrots
Gracie - CAG | Rookie - BRHP
Omg I don't know if I've ever seen such cuteness !!! Awesome job capturing & captioning it. I think they make a fabulous couple :)

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Well it seems that this is "LOVE". Miss Elsa is so let down and rejected looking at this new devellopment :) :) In one of the pics it looks like Mink is actually preening Chip ...they certainly appear to have hit it off...its really nice that they befriended each other so quickly ...hee hee Chip is enjoying figuring out how the new toys work LoL :) Gorgeous pics of the Handome Chip and his new wife the very Pretty Mink they make a Beautiful Couple :)

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Ah that is great that they are both happy, got a real silly grin on my face, lovely happy budgies. All is good with the world!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
They are just too cute for words:D Is Mink a bit bigger than Chip? Is that because he's a baby or are they the same size and it's just the angle? Glad they are getting along!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Lovely series of pics, Julie! Looks as though they are going to bond closely, but their mansion will permit seclusion when necessary!!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Awww, I'm so glad they are getting along! They look precious together:)

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Omg I don't know if I've ever seen such cuteness !!! Awesome job capturing & captioning it. I think they make a fabulous couple :)

Thank you Kelly :). Their cuteness always makes me laugh. It never gets old. I'm relieved that it looks like they'll be great friends.

Well it seems that this is "LOVE". Miss Elsa is so let down and rejected looking at this new devellopment :) :) In one of the pics it looks like Mink is actually preening Chip ...they certainly appear to have hit it off...its really nice that they befriended each other so quickly ...hee hee Chip is enjoying figuring out how the new toys work LoL :) Gorgeous pics of the Handome Chip and his new wife the very Pretty Mink they make a Beautiful Couple :)

Oh no, poor Miss Elsa :(. Please let her know that it's not what it looks like! Mink is just saying "you're okay kid, I accept you into my kingdom" :D.

It's fun watching Chip explore and play with all the toys. I think he's overwhelmed with all the things, and he can't believe how great his new place is compared to the quarantine cage.

Ah that is great that they are both happy, got a real silly grin on my face, lovely happy budgies. All is good with the world!

Isn't it a great feeling when our birds are happy? :D Thanks K.

They are just too cute for words:D Is Mink a bit bigger than Chip? Is that because he's a baby or are they the same size and it's just the angle? Glad they are getting along!

Thank you April. It's about time to weigh them again, but I think they're pretty close in size actually. Depending on who's fluffing up or flattening more, one looks bigger than the other, then the next moment it's the other one who looks bigger. Maybe Chip has a few more grams to go, but then Mink never got much heavier after weaning, so I'm not sure if budgies are done filling out by his age or not.

At any rate, at about 45-50 grams, Mink and Chip are considered to be 'smaller' English budgies. Some English out there are bred to be 30+ grams larger than the standard "pet shop type" (30-35g). Hopefully their smaller size and less exaggerated features means stronger genes health wise.

Lovely series of pics, Julie! Looks as though they are going to bond closely, but their mansion will permit seclusion when necessary!!

I hope not too much seclusion haha. Nonetheless, if the divider stays out on a regular basis, I am really going to have to be strict about the factors that discourage breeding once Chip becomes mature.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Super sweet photos, Julie! Mink and Chip hardly look as if they just met, in fact they look like bonded friends already! Sweet budgies and an amazing cage and set up, it's a magic combination, I know they'll be happy together!

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Awww, I'm so glad they are getting along! They look precious together:)

Thank you my friend :D! I'm so glad too. I'm glad Mink has finally decided to share a swing with someone :). Two budgies on a swing together is one of the cutest things... she would never do that with Twigs.

Super sweet photos, Julie! Mink and Chip hardly look as if they just met, in fact they look like bonded friends already! Sweet budgies and an amazing cage and set up, it's a magic combination, I know they'll be happy together!

Thanks Allee :)! Looks like I chose the "right" friend for Mink. She approves :D. I'm happy with the way the set up came out. I'm still up in the air whether or not I'll take the divider out all day. With Mink and Twigs I used to only put it in for bedtime, I didn't even have a reason to, really.

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Chip's new favorite place. With his head in the orange :rolleyes: He'll learn it isn't going to 'always' contain seed!

Mink's sweetest look :)

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Awwe but it has to always contain special seeds thats just not fair if its going to be empty hee hee...Gorgeous pics of the Adorable Chip and Mink...Beautiful. Chip has really settled in with his GF into the big cage. Its great that they get on well. Mink is a very Beautiful girl

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Thank you Mary :). What is funny, is that there are 2 seed containers... Chips "orange" and Mink's hanging vine feeder. They just don't get it yet.... they bicker over the same seed container without realizing there are TWO hellooo guys!!

I don't have seed in there constantly, because I want them to eat their other more nutritious foods as well ;). Any budgie would happily be a seed addict if given half a chance!

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Look at that face!

Chip thinks this is the best toy ever! I have an adorable video of him pulling out all the shredded paper there. (it's not available on Photobucket yet, as I just uploaded it. Sometimes it takes a while to show up. I'll post it when it's available).

Chip: "Hey Mink..."
Mink: "What do you want now, Chip"
Chip: "Can I sit up there with you on the swing?"

Mink: "Kid, how many times do I have to tell you.... NO!"
Poor Chip. Look how sad he looks. Mink has definitely been playing hard to get today.

One for the modeling portfolio :)

Last edited:

Most Reactions