Need help with budgie breeding

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
2 year old green parakeet named Byrdie.
I used to raise African Greys, but got old and had to downsize house and pets.

I bought one pair of untame bonded budgies (Sunny & Sky) and was told they are 3 years. They were not well cared for, but are now healthy and in breeding condition. I wanted to get one clutch and planned to hand raise the babies.

The hen's cere turned brown 2 months ago and they exhibited all the courting behavior, except for the cloacal kiss! She invites him to mount and he does, but Sunny doesn't finish the job!

I've sat for hours watching them repeat this same unfinished process, which has lasted for 2 months. Both he and she visit the nest box, he feeds her on the perches, but no cloacal kiss from him and no eggs from her.

Has anyone else witnessed this? I'm running out of time because if she's really 3, there's only one chance for one clutch.

I've racked my brain and wondered, could it be he won't mate because he had a previous lover and is being monogamous? Or is this what happens when the male is too old? Should I put her with a younger male or place them together in a new home? I only want one breeding pair. I have a tame 1 year old pet male who gets excited watching the process from his cage. His name is Byrdie, and he tries to woo the hen from far away by performing on his toys. 😂

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome to the forum!
I don't breed so I can't be of any help, but I'm sure one of our members who has experience will come along soon.

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
Hello and welcome to the forum!
I don't breed so I can't be of any help, but I'm sure one of our members who has experience will come along soon.
Thanks Terry57!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I used to raise African Greys, but got old and had to downsize house and pets.

I bought one pair of untame bonded budgies (Sunny & Sky) and was told they are 3 years. They were not well cared for, but are now healthy and in breeding condition. I wanted to get one clutch and planned to hand raise the babies.

The hen's cere turned brown 2 months ago and they exhibited all the courting behavior, except for the cloacal kiss! She invites him to mount and he does, but Sunny doesn't finish the job!

I've sat for hours watching them repeat this same unfinished process, which has lasted for 2 months. Both he and she visit the nest box, he feeds her on the perches, but no cloacal kiss from him and no eggs from her.

Has anyone else witnessed this? I'm running out of time because if she's really 3, there's only one chance for one clutch.

I've racked my brain and wondered, could it be he won't mate because he had a previous lover and is being monogamous? Or is this what happens when the male is too old? Should I put her with a younger male or place them together in a new home? I only want one breeding pair. I have a tame 1 year old pet male who gets excited watching the process from his cage. His name is Birdie, and he tries to woo the hen from far away by performing on his toys. 😂

Thanks in advance for your help!
How do you know he "hasn't finished the job"? I've had successful breeding pairs of budgies and the mate very frequently and I never could determine which "act" was the one that resulted in fertilized eggs. It doesn't take very long for the male to release his sperm. If the problem is that no eggs have been laid, there could be many reasons for that. I doubt it has anything to do with his previous monogamy. Budgies, male and female, aren't very monogamous. Breeders switch mates all the time with success. At three, he's still in his prime. At three, she still has at least another year, probably two, to breed successfully.
Perhaps this couple just isn't meant to be. If you substitute another male it may work.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Maybe their vents aren't getting into direct enough contact for his sperm to be deposited at her vent. He could be depositing too far away from her cloacal opening. I had a very large female successfully mate with a male about 2/3 her size. Does she have a lot of very long, puffy vent area feathers? I have heard of breeders trimming the vent feathers of both birds slightly so the sperm doesn't get too stuck in the feathers.

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
How do you know he "hasn't finished the job"? I've had successful breeding pairs of budgies and the mate very frequently and I never could determine which "act" was the one that resulted in fertilized eggs. It doesn't take very long for the male to release his sperm. If the problem is that no eggs have been laid, there could be many reasons for that. I doubt it has anything to do with his previous monogamy. Budgies, male and female, aren't very monogamous. Breeders switch mates all the time with success. At three, he's still in his prime. At three, she still has at least another year, probably two, to breed successfully.
Perhaps this couple just isn't meant to be. If you substitute another male it may work.
Hi Donna. Thank you so much for replying.

I know he hasn't 'finished his job' because both vents are clearly visible and over an inch apart. I can literally see them both clearly during the process. He hops on her back then hops off like leap frog. 🤨

I sit for hours watching because I wanted a baby to keep for myself! I'm so disappointed.

I also read about people trimming their feathers around the vents. Unfortunately he is no where near. He never curls himself around her. 🙄

I was under the impression parakeets were monogamous and felt guilty about separating a monogamous 'couple'.

Someone called today about buying them. They are supposed to come tomorrow. If he doesn't show, then I'll consider putting her with another male.

Thanks again for your input!

Pam

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi Donna. Thank you so much for replying.

I know he hasn't 'finished his job' because both vents are clearly visible and over an inch apart. I can literally see them both clearly during the process. He hops on her back then hops off like leap frog. 🤨

I sit for hours watching because I wanted a baby to keep for myself! I'm so disappointed.

I also read about people trimming their feathers around the vents. Unfortunately he is no where near. He never curls himself around her. 🙄

I was under the impression parakeets were monogamous and felt guilty about separating a monogamous 'couple'.

Someone called today about buying them. They are supposed to come tomorrow. If he doesn't show, then I'll consider putting her with another male.

Thanks again for your input!

Pam
I never got close enough to see the vents actually uniting! It seems that perhaps your male thinks he's completing the act, and for himself he may be, but for the purpose of making more budgies he may be a bit inept. It won't be the first time it wasn't as good for her (and her hopes for a family) as it was for him! If you pair her with a different male you may have more success. Just give the new couple a few weeks to get acquainted and you may have yourself a clutch of fertile eggs.

I do wonder how her body would know whether his efforts have succeeded in fertilizing her. I've read that when mating has been (unsuccessfully) attempted many times like this, the female will just go on to lay infertile eggs because fertilization isn't required for the female to start laying. Females in prime breeding condition don't even need a male present to start laying eggs.
Good luck, and keep us posted!

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
You are probably right about him Donna; he could be experiencing prematurely 'mating' from being overly excited. 😕 I looked at the calendar and he's been attempting for 9 weeks now. 😬 If it hasn't happened by now, it isn't going to happen.

You hit on something else I've been concerned about: egg laying. They were not in prime condition when I got them. Her cere was white, their nails were overgrown, and they had been fed nothing but low grade seeds.

She just started to use the cuttlebone a few days ago. I've had them 4 months. Maybe she wasn't in good enough condition to lay?

Thank you so much for all your time and help!

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
I never got close enough to see the vents actually uniting! It seems that perhaps your male thinks he's completing the act, and for himself he may be, but for the purpose of making more budgies he may be a bit inept. It won't be the first time it wasn't as good for her (and her hopes for a family) as it was for him! If you pair her with a different male you may have more success. Just give the new couple a few weeks to get acquainted and you may have yourself a clutch of fertile eggs.

I do wonder how her body would know whether his efforts have succeeded in fertilizing her. I've read that when mating has been (unsuccessfully) attempted many times like this, the female will just go on to lay infertile eggs because fertilization isn't required for the female to start laying. Females in prime breeding condition don't even need a male present to start laying eggs.
Good luck, and keep us posted!
The person just bought them and said they had no intentions of breeding. At least they are healthier than when they came here. Sigh

I found a local breeder and am waiting for a spangle baby. It will be about 6 more months, but I'll wait. When I get it, I may not even breed. We'll see how I feel about it when it's a year old.

Thank you so much for your thoughts! Have a great day!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts