Mishka was so scared Look what he did !!!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
OMG this is a first for Mishka and myself

He has never ever bitten or lunged at me EVER

Early this morning, I had just finished showering him, and was adjusting the shower nozzle. I had it hanging slightly so it could untangle and straighten out properly. Mishka stood there, staring at the nozzle (it was not close to him at all) he just sighed.
I bent forward to pick him up, he stepped up THEN suddenly his feathers fluffed up, and he gripped my hand in his beak.
He held on tightly, not biting me, just getting a good grip, not letting go, (I was so scared) I told him uhhh uhhh Mishka, but he still held on. I noticed a bit of blood on the top of my hand, where his beak was (then I really got scared) thinking he had injured himself.
He let go of my hand eventually, I checked him out, he was okay.
My hand was bleeding slightly, nothing serious at all.
I quickly blow dried him, and put him in his day cage.
Told him everything was okay......... he looked so sad and miserable.
He then stepped towards the bars, lowered his head and said Mommy I am sorry okay, I love my mommy
Well to say the least I was in :(

004-7.jpg

Ginkai

Mar 20, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Eastern Galah - Suki Lala 10 months old
Greyhound Cross - Max 7 years old
Great Dane Cross - Marque 2 years old
Rats -Lola 1yr old, Tsuyu, Enya, Fury all 6 months old, Cookie 8 weeks
That would have been scary, your lucky it wasn't worse! I once had a cockatiel bite me pretty bad, much worse than that and I couldn't stop myself from crying either. I dread the day Suki bites me, she has a much stronger bigger beck than a tiel!

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
funny how they react like that to things, and poor mishka must have felt terrible for his actions

considering his size (bigger then the nut :)) it wasn't a major bite, just a tension release one :(

hope you are both ok

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
funny how they react like that to things, and poor mishka must have felt terrible for his actions

considering his size (bigger then the nut ) it wasn't a major bite, just a tension release one :(

hope you are both ok

We are both fine, thanks for asking:)
Mishka is talking like a trooper in his cage as if there is no tomorrow.

Thank goodness it was only a major "bite"....... I never ever want to be afraid if him, or him being afraid of being showered again.
:grey:

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
i don't think that'll happen, as for a time i was very wary of the nut, and unlike the nut, mishka loves his mommy :)

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
i don't think that'll happen, as for a time i was very wary of the nut, and unlike the nut, mishka loves his mommy

Nut does love him mommy of course he does........ :)
I am just so fortunate that Mishka can expresses himself through talking

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Welcome to the world of bird bites. He is just doing what his brain told him to do. Kisses to you boy. Mommy still loves you.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
i don't think that'll happen, as for a time i was very wary of the nut, and unlike the nut, mishka loves his mommy

since i have learned to read the nuts body language, down to the last feather, things are alot easier! and in turn she is learning ours :) and our tone, she even understands C A G E:11: so she aint no feather brain lol

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
That would have been scary, your lucky it wasn't worse! I once had a cockatiel bite me pretty bad, much worse than that and I couldn't stop myself from crying either. I dread the day Suki bites me, she has a much stronger bigger beck than a tiel!

Poor you Ginkai, that must have been very scary......Just watch out for Suki

Thinking about it now, I guess Mishka was actually just "holding on" to feel secure.

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Welcome to the world of bird bites. He is just doing what his brain told him to do. Kisses to you boy. Mommy still loves you.

I have been bitten by Jessica (Mishka's gf who went to Rainbow Heaven in February 2012) It was 3 days before she died.
I blame myself for that one, I was standing next to her cage, holding Mishka, and went forward to give her a kiss. Done this so many times before, but Jessie was not herself at all. She took a chunk out of my bottom lip. Today we laugh and say she left me with a "love bite"

I think he is still feeling guilty about what happened earlier today, listen to this video, I recordered about 10 minutes ago

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QGQfPR2Pyo"]Amazing Talking African Grey Mishka - Being So Loving - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

terry52449

Feb 11, 2012
Media
The Villages, Fl
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo: Cameo
Getting bit is a serious matter. But it sounds more like Mishka was afraid and grasped what she knew was security. I have had Tasha for only 4 days and I can tell she looks to me for security. She has grabbed me a couple of times but never bit. My wife Jean was bitten by Tasha when we were reorganizing cages and my office. We were moving Tasha`s cage in and out of the office to clean the mess Tasha has made with her terrible eating habits. They named her wrong it should be Miss Piggy . Finely moving her cage back after vacuuming and rearranging stuff that must have bothered her grabbed jeans finger and bit. Jean panicked and tried to pull away and there was alot of pain and several skin punctures. Jean has been a real trooper with my love for cockatoos and didn`t deserve this. She was very angry with Tasha and may have destroyed a possible bond. I know Jean and she will heal but I don`t know if the hurt in her heart will go away. Time will tell.

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old

since i have learned to read the nuts body language, down to the last feather, things are alot easier! and in turn she is learning ours :) and our tone, she even understands C A G E:11: so she aint no feather brain lol

I mentioned to your earlier NUT IS CLEVER

If only Mishka's body language had kicked in 5 seconds before be climbed on my hand......

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
We forget sometimes that they are wild animals. Sorry you got bit, I'm glad it wasn't very bad. I have been bit multiple times, amazons communicate w/their beaks. lol Usually its just a 'hold' bite, in the right situation it can break skin. When something scares him or he has to be towelled for medication, it can be much worse. We've started his allergy meds again, but his bites weren't the serious things we experienced in the past. I think he finally gets it that the meds make him feel better. He just has to keep up appearances that he's a bad, bad boy. :p

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Getting bit is a serious matter. But it sounds more like Mishka was afraid and grasped what she knew was security. I have had Tasha for only 4 days and I can tell she looks to me for security. She has grabbed me a couple of times but never bit. My wife Jean was bitten by Tasha when we were reorganizing cages and my office. We were moving Tasha`s cage in and out of the office to clean the mess Tasha has made with her terrible eating habits. They named her wrong it should be MissPiggy . Finely moving her cage back after vacuuming and rearranging stuff that must have bothered her grabbed jeans finger and bit. Jean panicked and tried to pull away and there was alot of pain and several skin punctures. Jean has been a real trooper with my love for cockatoos and didn`t deserve this. She was very angry with Tasha and may have destroyed a possible bond. I know Jean and she will heal but I don`t know if the hurt in her heart will go away. Time will tell.

Sure it will pass over, being so young she was definitely seeking security.
One day at a time

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
We forget sometimes that they are wild animals. Sorry you got bit, I'm glad it wasn't very bad. I have been bit multiple times, amazons communicate w/their beaks. lol Usually its just a 'hold' bite, in the right situation it can break skin. When something scares him or he has to be towelled for medication, it can be much worse. We've started his allergy meds again, but his bites weren't the serious things we experienced in the past. I think he finally gets it that the meds make him feel better. He just has to keep up appearances that he's a bad, bad boy. :p

Thank goodness I am not in your shoes OMG just imagine....

Keeping in mind I do have a hand injury on my right hand. Mishka has always been so careful, never hurting me at all before. Must admit my hand is very very sensitive at the moment, because of the incident earlier today.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Oh... Mishka must have been having a bad Day!! Your Hand looks pretty sore :( I hope its OK!
It sounds like he was hanging on for security rather than trying to bite intentionally! sounds like he is sorry though :)

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Oh... Mishka must have been having a bad Day!! Your Hand looks pretty sore :( I hope its OK!
It sounds like he was hanging on for security rather than trying to bite intentionally! sounds like he is sorry though :)

It's not bad at all believe me, I got a bigger fright more than anything else
Shame imagine what went through Mishka's mind, when he saw the shower nozzle twirling
:eek:

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
Hard to say what sets them off sometimes, huh? I'm happy for you that it wasn't worse. She obviously loves her mama. !

When I'm shmoozin' with Amigo, my face will sometimes be very close to his and the thought that my ear, nose, eye, jugular vein could be sliced at any moment, will flash through my thoughts, but only for a moment! He tolerates me pretty well.

My friend from Texas, would call this bite 'bell peppers'!

Last edited:

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Sorry about your hand. OUCH! It doesn't really look like a bite to me. More like he wanted to secure himself to be on your hand because he was unsure of the shower head moving. If it was a real bite, beside the hole from the top beak, you would also have a slit underneath from the bottom beak......

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hard to say what sets them off sometimes, huh? I'm happy for you that it wasn't worse. She obviously loves her mama. !

When I'm shmoozin' with Amigo, my face will sometimes be very close to his and the thought that my ear, nose, eye, jugular vein could be sliced at any moment, will flash through my thoughts, but only for a moment! He tolerates me pretty well.

My friend from Texas, would call this bite 'bell peppers'!

No one is happier than me LoL.......

I too would be very aware near Amigo...........just be careful okay

Most Reactions