Mites?

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I'm noticing very many little tiny red moving dots the size of a period outside on my front porch, I see them on the light colored cement, and on some cement colored fiberglass pots. When I smash them with my finger they leave a red stain. I'm not sure if they're baby spiders or mites. I don't take the birds in the front anymore because of it, only the back deck on a black steel umbrella table.
Are these mites? I won't even sit in the front anymore because of it because I don't want to bring them in. I also see them around everywhere....at work (outside), other people's porches, everywhere. I don't want to use pesticides, I've been spraying rubbing alcohol, and splashing scalding water on the porch, but everytime I look closely I see them again the next day. Does anyone know what they are?

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Read up on clover mitesā€¦theyā€™re not the red mites that bother our birds, but are a pest just the same, though they donā€™t bother you or your birdsā€¦..

You might read up on spider mites alsoā€¦..

Red mitesā€¦thatā€¦do like us and our birds usually canā€™t be seen during the day unless you place a sheet of copy paper in your bird cage & turn on the light before daylightā€¦..you will have caught some on the white paperā€¦.getting rid of them is another story that youā€™ll need to read up onā€¦..

Good luckā€¦..

FreddyCheeks

May 8, 2013
Media
NJ
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure-Fred-Hatch date 3/5/13 --- Bourke parakeet- Pinky - home date 11/27/17---CAG-Chicken Lily-home date 12/1/17
I don't know if these work.

Attachments

• upg-394_1z.jpg
    upg-394_1z.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 374
OP
Kalidasa

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Ok, thanks for the posts. Just googled clover mites and I think that may be it, but I'll be out there with a magnifier tomorrow to double check. I'll try to zoom in a take a pic.
@freddycheeks, I saw that in a petsmart one day, but am unsure of its safety. Thanks for the response. :)

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
STAY AWAY from any of those mite repellents that are sold in pet stores.....their active ingredient can kill companion birds.....everything sold in pet stores is not good for your pets....

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
"Bird Protectors" are not good for your birds! Some are made with formaldehyde, and others, what they make mothballs out of (sorry, can't remember the chemical right now). DO NOT USE THOSE THINGS!! I have written to manufacturers to stop making them. But, only response is their BS marketing nonsense. They WILL kill bird parasites. But, also may kill your birds!

OP
Kalidasa

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Oh believe me, I would never try to treat any suspicious thing like that myself! I've done the white sheet test on my birds,...I do it every spring and fall. So far so good, never had them. :). Was just concerned about the front porch, and my budgies LOVE The front porch, so after I double-check everything tomorrow we'll all be hanging in front again. Thanks!
@billsbirds...are you referring to camphor? I hope not, because that's also in lip balm!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
The primary ingredients in mothballs are Dichlorobenzene, Naphthalene and Paradichlorobenzen.....camphor was used as the primary ingredient in early mothballs and may be found in some brands to sweeten the smell of the mothballs....

You might want to change your lip balm as the Health Department in New York City has warned parents that camphor products can be very dangerous for children. If accidentally ingested or applied to the skin, camphor products can be toxic. In 2008, three cases of seizures associated with camphor have been confirmed and seven additional cases were investigated. And the American Academy of Pediatrics warns that camphorated oil is the worst offender in the case of accidental ingestion. This is due to the fact that the oil is mistaken for several other over-the-counter (OTC) products. Even ingesting a small amount of the oil can be fatal. Also a transplacental transfer can take place and this may be toxic to the fetus. In November of 2010, New Jersey has issued a safety warning about children eating lavender camphor products - because they look like candy.

Most Reactions