Mixing Pionus with other birds

sarahmcrawford

Oct 6, 2012
Parrots
white capped pionus
We have a white capped pionus (approx 2 yrs old) who is great with me but I am working on getting him cool with my husband and the kids can give him treats but not put their hands on him. I would like to get a small bird, probably a parakeet but am not sure how that would go. He is my first parrot and I am his second home. We got him last october from a lady that had 9 birds she couldn't keep. He was not handleable at that time but now knows about 7 simple tricks/sounds and steps up and rides on my hand, takes showers with me when he wants and demands scritches at certain times of the day. He is very definite about when he wants to do the touching or be touched though. My husband is afraid of him which is blocking our progress with getting him to take to others than myself. Anyway, since he came from a home with other parrots I am wondering what you other pionus owners know about how the species does with other birds. ( I do know better than to put them in the same cage)
Does anyone think I will have trouble with 2 birds? Mostly I am worried about a jealousy issue and the difference in size with the two but do not want another big bird.

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
Hi Sarah:

My 1st birds were a pair of lineolated parakeets & a pair of budgies. My husband decided he wanted a parrot - not a 'keet - an we added a white-capped Pionus.

The Pionus did well with the parakeets. The little budgies tormented him, he chased them off his cage . . . but was overall, kind. [Can't say the same for my husand, my Pionus was a woman's bird, no matter what I did].

The Pionus learned the 'keets' contact call; the male 'keet learned to say "Beaker!" [the Pionus's name].

Will your Pionus be jealous of the 'keet? Probably. But he might also be secretly happy for a flockmate.

Bottom line: You won't know, until you try. I wish there was a better answer, but there is not.

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot, Sam, Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Sierra & Black Headed Caique, Daisy Jane
My Moms white capped, J.B. likes people best over birds, It is good for birds to have company though. I would Select a bird that is going to have a quiet to moderate noise level, J.b. hates too much noise, for example A Sun Conure turned J.b into a nervous wreck, She also can't stand to be sitting next to my Sisters Ekkie. When i come to visit she likes her attention before the other birds or she is insulted, and usually decides she is not going to come out. She's a sweetheart though!

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
My Blue Headed Pionus's best friend is a Lovebird!

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Most pionus that I have meet have been fine around other birds. They are so quiet and docile though so you need to be sure the other bird isn't tormenting him really. I know someone with about 20 birds and most are macaws and he has 2 pionus and they love his house.

Most Reactions