White Capped Pionus Possible Health Problem?

xBluexEyedxWolfx

Jun 14, 2013
Hey guys,

This is my first "larger" bird (only say larger since my previous birds have been keets and tiels) and I havent run across this problem yet and wondered if anyone had any incite on what his problem may be. The picture I attached is Coqui, and as I type it sounds like he is sawing a piece of wood in his cage. He is rubbing his beak on the bars of his cage (or anything he can find.) Hes doing it on both sides of his beak and i dont believe its territorial. I came home earlier and found some dry blood on the front facing of his beak. a couple of flakes from his beak pulled off and no further bleeding was noticed but I also don't know why he would be doing this. He sneezed maybe 2x i heard of, no discharge from eyes/nostrils, but maybe a little fluid in the mouth? Nothing seems out of the ordinary except the constant sawing/rubbing and earlier bleading. I'll post a picture of his bloody beak. I also wondered if the flaky-ness of his beak was normal. Also I forgot about it until i just picked him up to take a picture of his beak but his beak is quite warm. I dont know if its from him rubbin on it so much or if its from it having bled earlier or if its anything to worry about. Just thought I'd throw it in there. I know their beaks constantly grow and theirs "age rings" and all but for some reason its striking me as "extra flaky". wasnt sure if anyone would have any information for me but it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Britni and Coqui

After reading a couple other posts I thought of other things to enclose about Coqui. Ive only had him for a few days now. He was rehomed from his first and only other mother. She was terminally ill and was forced to give him up. She had him on a (what anyone I've asked called a junk) seed only diet from walmart. I kinda thought the same thing with all the color dyes in it, and I'm still not sure what the controversy is about sunflower seeds whether they are bad or good, (I'm just living by the, in moderation, bit) but that bag was riddled with them. I now have him on Higgins Safflower Gold Natural, Zupreem Wild and Spicy, and Roudybush pellet all mixed together. Im also trying to incorporate veggies and fruits to no avail at this point (but it is still early). He is out of his cage all but maybe 5 hours 2-3 days a week and goes with me places.
:blue2:

Attachments

• 970858_10151456559823133_2076081126_n.jpg
    970858_10151456559823133_2076081126_n.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 935
  • Coqui beak1.jpg
    Coqui beak1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 949
  • Coqui beak2.jpg
    Coqui beak2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 736
  • Coqui beak.jpg
    Coqui beak.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 3,543

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
If birds have the option, they will eat the sunflower seeds & leave other foods.....they are more fattening than nutritious.....think eating a large bag of potato chips a day.....

Your Coqui is manicuring his beak when he rubs it on cage bars, perches & other things.....none of the pics you posted looks like anything is wrong with his beak.....

If that is blood, it could have come from over exuberant rubbing too close to his cere & may have caused it to bleed, but the red is at the tip, which might be from a blood feather or scratching/cutting himself...or...it could be a red dye from red colored feed that he dipped in his water...,.

Sneezing, ca be from dust or even a feather barb caught in one of his nares.....

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Hi and welcome to the forum. I was also wondering if that was blood or has he been eating something red like strawberry or red pellets, or chewing wood that had a red dye on it. He looks healthy from the picture. Bur considering the diet he has been on for 10 years a vet visit might be a good idea just to be safe:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts