Modified E-collar

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
So Rome's chest wound has been healing very well, despite the fact that we cant get ANY oral antibiotics in her (we all end up wearing it). Her e-collar was working really good, until yesterday. She was able to somehow get around it while I was at work and doubled the size of her wound. :( We were doing so good to, it was almost completely healed. So I called the vet, some cast padding and elasticon and voila she cant reach it. Thankfully I have these supplies on hand and with their direction added to her collar. She let me put it on but shes really not happy with me right now. I feel like this thing is never going to heal. On the up side though shes getting some feathers in on her right wing, maybe some good will come of all this. Poor Rome.

I've got before and after pics of the collar:

Attachments

• 4049482835486_ORIG.jpeg
    4049482835486_ORIG.jpeg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,344
  • 5049482835497_ORIG.jpeg
    5049482835497_ORIG.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 873
  • 1050306190901_ORIG.jpeg
    1050306190901_ORIG.jpeg
    17.6 KB · Views: 5,864

solobaby

Jul 14, 2011
Parrots
Solo(indian ringneck)-Marley(green cheek conure)- Dobby (cockatiel)
poor baby - lots of love from S.A

OP
Molcan2

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Thanks, she looks like a car accident victim.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Aw poor Rome, she looks so... messy! :(

I hope she gives this collar a break and you're all able to get through this injury. Will her feathers grow in over the scar tissue?

Thinking of you both!

OP
Molcan2

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
It seems like the feathers are trying to come back. I think thats what caused her to go after it more, its such sensitive skin. I think the scab healing plus new feathers coming in were just to itchy and irritating for her to ignore it. All that white stuff is cream that gets put on her twice a day.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Thanks, she looks like a car accident victim.

That's what I was thinking....I'm sorry but I couldn't help to stop laughing when I was looking at the pics....lol.....Cockatoos are crazy anyways and wearing that makes them look hilarious....I hope to keep mine at bay and not start plucking like that....

OP
Molcan2

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
That's what I was thinking....I'm sorry but I couldn't help to stop laughing when I was looking at the pics....lol.....Cockatoos are crazy anyways and wearing that makes them look hilarious....I hope to keep mine at bay and not start plucking like that....

Yeah, I had to giggle a little after I made the modifications. The bright neon green doesn't help. She actually doesn't pluck her feathers. She will clip them at the base and shred them into tiny pieces. This wound happened when she was on my shoulder, I hit the coffee table with my knee, she fell off of me and hit the coffee table. She had a small wound from it, was nothing major. Until of course the scab was healing, the scab was pulling on her skin so she took the scab off. Then each time it would scab up again she'd just keep pulling it off making the area bigger. So we took her to the vet, hence the wonderful collar. True to Too form she just couldn't leave it well enough alone. Shes been wearing it for a few weeks and definitely isn't happy with today's modification, shes pouting. Shes just sitting there puffed up with a look like 'I cant believe she did this to me'. I just want it to heal.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Mine barbers as well....I got them both this way....I've tried countless things to stop...Still trying....IF I find something that works I will definitely post it for all to see....

OP
Molcan2

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Yeah she came to me that way to. Apparently the previous home before me had a conure that she was really bonded to and when he died she started shredding. I really don't think that there is anyway to stop it BUT I'll buy it if you find it. :D

Beako_N_Kiwi

Mar 28, 2012
California
Parrots
Our Rescues:

Beako - age 22- Yellow Crowned Amazon

Kiwi - age 9 - Yellow Naped Amazon

Paco - age 28 - Yellow Naped/Yellow Crowned
Poor thing!!!! Wishing her the best.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
I've tried all kinds of ways to get oral meds into birds. And usually wound up wearing them. But, I had a 'too that loved pretzels. I took large pretzel rods, rubbed off the salt, and put a few drops at a time on the end as she would eat it. It didn't always work, but, she definitely got some in her that way. Also, I've mixed a few drops in mashed strawberry, with a bit of success. Perhaps check with her vet if meds can be mixed this way.

Most Reactions

Latest posts