Mold??

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
I found some mold growing on the window sills in my bedroom. I sort of freaked out, as I heard it can be toxic. Can this type of mold be harmful to parrots??

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
Mold can be bad for all living creatures~ clean it with bleach and water

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pixel: female senegal, hatched Dec 15, 2011
We unfortunately get mold on the roof in the bathroom of my house. I find vinegar works very well and is more bird friendly; I scrub down the ceiling once a week with it, which seems to prevent it from reappearing.

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
It sounds stupid, but try peroxide to clean the mold, then bleach and water, then spray it with disinfectant .. sounds like over kill, but it kept it from coming back at our house.. also check your AC cents and ducts...

Down here in SE TX this is an ongoing fight... and our house was just built 4 years ago...

Last edited:

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
In general mold isn't good for anyone, including our pets. Do not use bleach on mold, bleach is mostly water and while it will appear to get rid of the mold it will actually help it to come back with a vengeance. Put some white vinegar in a spray bottle and spray it with that :)

OP
lexx510

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Thanks everyone!
Glad to hear that white vinegar and peroxide work. That's what we usually use as a cleaner in our home. I'm reluctant to use bleach because of its strong/toxic smell.

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
Get rid of your mold in two steps: kill the mold (remove it) and eliminate moisture. I still believe bleach and water is the best to kill the mold, now for eliminating moisture, check for poor air circulation and improper venting~you can use exhaust fans, crack a window open, dehumidifier

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
You Should invest in a dehumidifier. We had to get one too as mould is a horrible problemHere!! Hate it! :(

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts