Sprouting small quantities of seed

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
2 year old green parakeet named Byrdie.
I'm new to sprouting seeds, so I googled. The general idea was 8 hours or overnight soaking, rinsing twice a day, and keeping them out of standing water.

I didn't have a mesh wire strainer, it looked messy, and I only have one bird. I came up with a simple idea: knee high hose.

I put the seeds in the hose and then rolled the hose top down. It made a nice stretchy band.

They were rinsed right inside the hose, then I used a squatty jar to soak them. The next day, I lifted the knee high out, rinsed the seeds well, rinsed the jar, let the excess water drain, and replaced the knee high in the jar making sure it was suspended as to avoid the seeds standing in water.

I wet a folded paper towel and put it over the top of the jar so they wouldn't dry out and left it near the sink to help me remember to rinse and drain twice a day to prevent mold and keep the seeds moist.

AFTER 3 days they can begin to be fed and the remainder are stored in the refrigerator to keep them fresh.
20230830_102802.jpg
20230830_102856.jpg

Attachments

• 20230830_102809.jpg
    20230830_102809.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 12

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Looks like they came out well! I like to use the “Easy Sprout” for mine.

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
Byrdie is just now beginning to taste new foods, so I'm feeding the newly sprouted seeds. Once he accepts them as they mature, I may need to try a different method of sprouting. For now, this works perfectly.

Byrdie is almost 2, but his previous owner failed at getting him to try fruits and veggies. He's eating boiled egg and tasting new foods, but I have to hand feed them to him to which
my husband said, "We're not starting that!"

I replied, "It's already started." I'll keep hand feeding Byrdie as long as it takes. 😋

Byrdie is afraid of new foods and needs the security of watching me and my dog taking turns eating. Then Byrdie will taste if I hold it in front of him. I'm thrilled the hand feeding is working. 😁

Thebrave

May 8, 2018
Cool that your handfeeding is working! and that your sprout solution is working out too! Did you mix it into their chop, or do you just handfeed all the new stuff then make a chop?

My guy Coda used to throw out all of his sprouts or would eat around them so I started to mince them and put them in with sweet potato because he was a sweet beak kinda guy. He would taste it if there were sweet potato or if it had quinoa and millet somewhere mixed in.

You make me wanna try it this way! But I know my weaknesses...:ROFLMAO: I have been looking into the Hamama sprout system since it looks simple enough. Soak a sheet of sprouts for 10 seconds and then grow them for a week or two based on the card in an area with sunlight. no draining or rinsing that I saw.

OP
Birdfriendly

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
Cool that your handfeeding is working! and that your sprout solution is working out too! Did you mix it into their chop, or do you just handfeed all the new stuff then make a chop?

My guy Coda used to throw out all of his sprouts or would eat around them so I started to mince them and put them in with sweet potato because he was a sweet beak kinda guy. He would taste it if there were sweet potato or if it had quinoa and millet somewhere mixed in.

You make me wanna try it this way! But I know my weaknesses...:ROFLMAO: I have been looking into the Hamama sprout system since it looks simple enough. Soak a sheet of sprouts for 10 seconds and then grow them for a week or two based on the card in an area with sunlight. no draining or rinsing that I saw.
I googled Hamama Sprouts and LOVE everything about it, except the $50 price!😂

With my little 'free $ystem', I fed a spoon of the sprouts after 3 days when they are barely sprouted and then refrigerated the rest.

Byrdie will not try anything new unless I have him perched on my finger and offer it with my other hand. Even then, he won't eat it on his own. So, right now there is no 'chop' 😁.

Although it is time consuming, it is exciting to me that he is even tasting new things. Plus, I am flattered that he wants ME included in this bonding ritual. ☺️

He will eat boiled egg by himself, and I feed it separately. He has 5 different feeding stations. I keep them separate so I know what he is eating. So far he avoids everything but the egg unless I hand feed. 🫠

Most Reactions