Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Yeah that's exactly what we renamed him! Ollie for short. He is responding to Ollie so that's good.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
When I was little, I had a pet baby chick that grew up to be a pet chicken. I named him Mr. Mitchell after the school bus driver who was nice to me. When he turned out to be a girl, I called him Mrs. Mitchell. Problem solved. She didn't know here name, lived in a crate outside, but would sit on my lap and be petted. Years later, one night we came home late, from the county fair I think, and she was sitting on top of her crate. I went to put her inside but my parents said leave her, she'll be OK. But she was killed, I never knew if by an animal or run over by my dad backing out the driveway in the morning (I sort of think the latter, since they denied that before I could even ask). I cried all day at school. When one of my teachers asked why I was crying, I told her "my pet chicken died" and they didn't say anything back, but it probably went on my "that kid is weird" chart.

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
I had the opposite issue... I wanted so much for my GCC Kermit to be a boy. Boys don't get egg-binding and that scared me a lot :(

Well, I got a lovely girl GCC named Kermit now. I'm trying very hard not to stroke her in the wrong places and to keep her from getting the wrong idea about our relationship. I did think about changing her name buuut I couldn't come up with anything clever that I liked (much like you, I kept the name she had from her petstore).

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
When I was little, I had a pet baby chick that grew up to be a pet chicken. I named him Mr. Mitchell after the school bus driver who was nice to me. When he turned out to be a girl, I called him Mrs. Mitchell. Problem solved. She didn't know here name, lived in a crate outside, but would sit on my lap and be petted. Years later, one night we came home late, from the county fair I think, and she was sitting on top of her crate. I went to put her inside but my parents said leave her, she'll be OK. But she was killed, I never knew if by an animal or run over by my dad backing out the driveway in the morning (I sort of think the latter, since they denied that before I could even ask). I cried all day at school. When one of my teachers asked why I was crying, I told her "my pet chicken died" and they didn't say anything back, but it probably went on my "that kid is weird" chart.

Very hard! I had a somewhat similar experience as a child. When I confronted my mom, the reply was, 'you think I would lie?' Even at that age, I understood that it meant let it be, it is what it is!

OP
Sunnyclover

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Kirmit seems like one of those names that could be for both. I had a classmate at school who was a girl named Cricket.

I keep looking at Ollie now thinking...Wow you totally look like a boy. Of course you're a boy. Duh! Lol... Perception is so weird. Before this she looked like a beautiful princess to me. Haha.

jagrooten5

Sep 7, 2016
We named my new GC Galileo and Leo for short. We got him DNA sexed and while we were waiting for he results we decided that if he was a girl we would name him Cleopatra and Cleo for short 😂

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
@Sunnyclover

True enough. And it doesn't hurt I call her "Kermie" most of the time anyways. I claim its the french pronunciation of the name, but really its so much cuter haha ! It took my brain a good few weeks to rewire Kermit as a girl XP It was an awkward transition of accidentally mixing up she/him and of course the bird didn't care one way or the other.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
My GCC Titan was rejected by her parents the day she hatched and had to be hand raised from the start. I put off "his" DNA test for over a year. She is a girl. I feel your pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I enjoyed reading this thread so far. Some interesting and funny posts :).

How about rehomed parrots where in many cases previous names are not known? Then you have to just pick any name you like. They do seem to adjust. I see your point though, with wanting it to sound similar if possible.

I've heard of MANY birds with opposite gender names. For birds, that's so common that it's completely accepted, and everyone knows the reason if you have a boy named Molly!

Out of my current birds besides budgies which can be sexed by sight, the Poicephalus species that I have are sexually dimorphic when mature, but as a baby it's hard to tell. They said Robin was male at the store, and he happened to be. Griffin I got DNA from the breeder when I said I wanted a male. DNA for Raven before getting him too. Other parrots I had, I bought them not knowing then DNA'd later. It's kind of fun that way if you're not particular.

Scoza

Feb 5, 2017
Australi
Parrots
GCC
I had a budgie that my daughter named dave before she was old enough to determine what sex she was. Dave ended up being a girl but we continued to call her Dave. If it helps Im Australian and a very prominent australian media personality is known as Molly and he is very much a man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I got a gender test on my Sun Conure Molly and found out Molly is a boy. I'm so sad. I don't know why I'm so sad but I am and I do the know how to move forward. I obviously still love him but I'm worried. He already knows his name and now I have to change it and I am afraid he'll get aggressive at puberty. Anyone have this happen to them?

I wouldn't change Mollys name..I have had "AMY" for going on 30 years now,and last year at a wellness check, I decided to do a DNA on her.
I was curious,coz "she" has never laid an egg.

Well imagine MY surprise,when the test came in as 'Amy" being a MALE!!???
I have been living with a transgender for all this time lol.
When I got BB he was still a baby and wouldn't know his gender til his first moult..so I named him "Baby Bird" or BB for short..If indeed he was going to be a "she" Baby bird,or BB would still work!
Soooo...I still call her AMY...heck she knows her name..no sense changing it now...and I still refer to "her" as a "her"..Its no biggie to me...or Amy lol.

Jim

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts