Molting? Plucking? Brood Patch?

JenD

Apr 13, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Dory - Rescued B&G macaw
Pretty Bird - cockatiel
I’ve posted a while back about my 29 y/o rescue blue and gold but it’s been awhile. We’ve had Dory since May 2017 and in September she started laying eggs. She is a single bird we have no other parrots. She eats Harrison’s pellets and Zupreem along with fresh foods everyday. We did as the vet advised and let her care for the eggs, which she did diligently and never really rejected but when they broke we removed. At minimum she would have the eggs for at least 2 weeks but up to 45 days. She would lay 1-3 eggs a month since September and laid her last eggs at the beginning of February. She sat on the last “clutch” for at least a month and a half and began to start showing signs (pleasuring herself) that she would begin to lay again. After trying everything under the sun to get her to stop we decided to get a new cage and put it in a different room. That was a little over a week ago and she has not since acted hormonal nor laid anymore eggs.
NOW I have done about everything possible with the exception of the hormonal injections/implant and that is still something we are considering, my question today is about feather loss. I felt it was important to know background info.

I have never observed her “plucking” and she is a very low stress bird. Rarely screams, or paces. I like to think she’s pretty happy, with the exception of her nesting aggression when she has eggs. We have notice her chest has looked not as full and had first seen a lot of down feathers in her cage. I was told by another parrot person that it was molting season and not to worry, however the past few days she has had ALOT of feathers both chest and either small wing or back feathers in her cage in the mornings and while we are at work. She is only in her cage at night and the 4-5 hours that my husband or I am not home. She has a lot of enrichment options but honestly she does not really do too much. I will have an egg carton fill of treats in her cage for a month before she completely goes through it. I have also been encouraging foraging with her regular food. What is a normal molt for chest feathers on a macaw? If I can figure out how to upload pictures I will. She probably had a fairly good sized handful of feathers just over night. She also has a completely bald spot on her chest (that can only be seen when you lift other feathers) could this be a brood spot? Any help greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 6F71121B-58C5-40D2-909A-22B7013843FF.jpg
    6F71121B-58C5-40D2-909A-22B7013843FF.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 671
  • 4DA6D8DD-2D67-44ED-A8CF-4EF0474048C6.jpg
    4DA6D8DD-2D67-44ED-A8CF-4EF0474048C6.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
No expert (this is my 6th month as a macawperson) but Sunny did also lose that amount of feathers.

Not sure about the spot, but she looks like she really could use a soak/ long shower.
(could be just the photos though, but the feathers look a bit in need of a good wash)

Appie (my female grey) also went into supermolt whe she stopped being broody.
(D. did the same)
So its probably hormonal.

(Sunny *is* a plucker - primaries and tail mostly, but also legs and belly, so not really good material for comparison ...)

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I agree on the shower, her feathers do look quite greasy and dirty...she may be itchy or just in need of a washing...Macaws typically love taking showers...

They can molt quite a bit, but I don't think that's a regular "molt" as you can actually see her bare skin on her belly/chest. So it may be a brood spot, or it may very well be a bit of "feather-destructive behavior" due to the egg-laying...From what you're describing she is laying far too many eggs, which is soooo hard on their bodies...

Is she on a natural-light schedule? Have you removed any and all possible "nesting" areas and materials? If you get to the point where nothing helps and she continues to lay eggs like this, then you should think about the hormone-treatments, as her body can't take this for very long. And the feather-plucking could very well be related directly to the egg-laying...I'm assuming she's got the proper Calcium resources in her cage, etc. to prevent egg-binding and a deficiency?

Most Reactions

Latest posts