Molting sucks!

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Our poor little Maxi-Max is going through a really rough molt. Actually, I think he's feeling okay, but he looks rough. His feathers are very scraggly and kind of greasy looking. He hasn't wanted to take a shower or even be misted since this started.

I was actually a little worried that he might be sick instead of molting, but he's eating and pooping normaly and acting like his usual grouchy self. And we're finding more feathers about than usual. I know it's only been a week or so, but it seems like it's taking forever.

We're acutally kind of excited for him to finish this one...we should find out for sure after this molt if he really is Max or if we have to change it to Maxine. Not that it matters to us, we're just curious.

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
Savannah, 4 year old Hahns Macaw
Lol @ max or maxine

I can't wait until Savannah goes through her first molt with me. I really want to see what feathers will come it and how they will look. I am also anxious to see whether or not she is still chewing her feathers. I am almost positive that she is not, but you never know.

Good luck Max!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I have enough feathers and hair to make pillows....lol

Regular bathing will help!!! :)

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Seems like they molt all year long. Rosie is a grumpy little girl now. I am spraying her down with aloe/warm water twice a day and it seems to help.

OP
HRH Di

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
I have enough feathers and hair to make pillows....lol

Regular bathing will help!!! :)

At certian times of year, our 120 lb yellow lab, Luke, sheds enough to make another dog...like now. We get blond snow drifts 2 hrs after vacuuming.

I wish I could get him to bathe. He wants nothing to do with showers and eh usually loves them.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Dawg is shedding, we have red tumbleweeds blowing thru our house. Merlin has never been thru a extreme molt, he loses feathers from time to time, but nothing major.

darkling

Apr 13, 2011
Alabama
Parrots
RIP Pi - Sun Conure 02/06/11 - 09/10/11
Tasha sheds year round and she's got this weird double coat. One layer is soft and downy and comes out in huge sticky clumps. The other layer is wirey and coarse.

Hannibal has been molting since I got him and this morning he must have worked one of his tail feathers lose because I came out of the bathroom to see Courage trotting down the hall with this loooooooong feather in his mouth.

He was carrying it between his legs like a lion with a gazelle and he looked so smug. Hannibal didn't make a sound or anything and I hadn't let him out of his cage yet so I know Courage didn't get it off of him directly. I don't let Courage play with feather toys and I took this one away from him but it was a really funny sight for sure.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I learned an amazing fact while reading about GCC. They have from 2,500 to 3 thousand feathers!! Can you imagine what the larger birds carry?

OP
HRH Di

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
I learned an amazing fact while reading about GCC. They have from 2,500 to 3 thousand feathers!! Can you imagine what the larger birds carry?

I read somewhere that they have as many as 10,000. No wonder thye preen so much. It isn't just vanity, it's a necessity.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
lol @ all molt stories :)

i got 1 little sene an she is still goin through the molt, feelin lots of pins each time i give her a head rub, and the corners in all the rooms nut goes to have a little fluffy feathers, waiting to be hoovered up

Most Reactions