Molting(What to Expect?)

Syd

Aug 23, 2013
Parrots
Buddy - 5 week old Severe Macaw
So I've read a few things about birds moulting but I'd like to be prepared for it when it happens so I don't have a heart attack. Here are some questions I have.
1. My conure is about 4 months. About when should he start his first moult?
2. How long does it tend to last?
3. Is there anything I should do for or prepare for it?

Sorry if they are silly questions I just don't want to be a crazy mama bird O3O

Last edited:

Luke252

Aug 6, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
Parrots
Bluey - Opaline Blue Budgie, Larry - Greater Sulphur Crested Cockatoo, Charlie - Samueli Red Tailed Black Cockatoo, Max - Eastern Long Billed Corella
1. In conures, the moulting process generally begins at 8 to 10 months of age.
2. The complete moulting process, from the shedding to the growth of new feathers, can take several months.
3. Just read up a little more so you are as in formed as possible, but other than that there I really nothing else you can prepare for.

Good Luck with it all. You ll do fine. :)

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
My poor baby is going through his first molt right now.

I got him when he was about six months old.. from a petstore, (I did my research.)

Basically be prepared for an itchy slightly irritable bird, Coming from the experience of owning such birds before...

Your baby is gonna want lots and lots of scratches.

OP
Syd

Syd

Aug 23, 2013
Parrots
Thanks for the advice :)

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Both my P'let and Senegal are molting. Both are 6 months old, they both were hatched in the same month. Kiwi the P'let is molting worst then Rio. It doesn't see to be effecting Rio, but Kiwi is a lil monster. She is one cranky, biting bird. For her sake, I will be glad when it is over for her. She hate it when I try and spray any water on her. If she even sees the bottle on my hand, she starts cussing me out in her bird talk.

Rio is taking it in strides, and she likes to play with her feathers. She doesn't like to be sprayed but she does allow it. For about first two weeks every time I looked at Rio she had a feather in her mouth. Freaked me out a bit to where I had to bring it up on here to see if that was normal. Now it's like no big deal. :D

kiwiS

Jun 27, 2013
Parrots
Kiwi Stardust - a green cheek conure
My kiwi (Gcc) is molting right now too! She has tail feathers falling out, small fluffy feathers as well as the regular ones and pin feathers everywhere! She is just a little crankier than usual, but not bad. She really loves scritches and a cool shower. If your bird will you let you you can try preen their pin feathers to help loosen them up. She really enjoys this, but will give me a little squeak if it's a sensitive one.

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
I always shower my birds more when they are molting and I also use 2 great products which help to alleviate the symptoms of crankiness and irritability during molting. The products are listed below with a link where I purchase them from with additional information on the product.

1- Avian trio, which I feed year round to all my birds
AVIAN TRIO

2- Avian tranquility, I use this during molting
AVIAN TRANQUILITY

You are doing the right thing by learning all you can BEFORE your baby goes through his first molt. Using the above products, my birds experience very little crankiness or hyper activity during their molts. I swear by these products, as my birds are very healthy and happy and have beautiful feathers.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Jayde has been molting since a couple of weeks after she got here! That was nearly three months ago... (it'll be 3 months ago in a weeks time)

Charlie didn't really start molting until this month. Ya, sure, there was a feather here or there, but I could count how many feathers he lost on one hand! Now he's really molting, but not quite as much as Jayde! (or at least not yet)

Cockaties????? Feather pillow exploded some months back..... more feathers keep getting added to the ones I find and clean up....

OP
Syd

Syd

Aug 23, 2013
Parrots
My conure has white flakes all over his feathers this is another sign of molting?

Peanutsmum

Jan 23, 2013
Devon, UK
Parrots
GCC Peanut Male hatched 19/10/12
Yes. The new feathers come through covered in a white keratin sheeth that comes off when they preen or when we gently scritch them. Peanut's still got a fair few coming and going. Lost several blue primary flight feathers and tail feathers so hopefully he will be finished with his molt soon

Most Reactions