Fluffonia

Aug 4, 2023
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Red sided ekkie female -
Ruby
Hatchingday- 14th of May, 2023
So Ruby is currently molting, and, I just wanted to ask if there’s some special need to do? Like, Special food, for instance?
Thanks for reply,

Fluff and Ruby

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
not really. Probably some people improve their diet a bit but it should be varied in any season anyway
Edit:
the bird may want to take a bath more often
Also, if you want, you can help her removing the cover from pin feathers (it's not necessary)

Last edited:

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Nutrition: extra protein (fish, nuts), extra calcium (eggs, cuttlebone), and extra iron (spinach) are good for a molting bird.

Bathing: misting with a spray bottle if your bird lets you helps relieve itchiness.

Pin feathers: newly grown feathers have little caps on them, and a molting bird might have a lot of these! They're very itchy, but they're also very sensitive. Newly formed feathers are also called "blood feathers" because they have a vein as they're growing in. Be careful around pin feathers. Tugging or scratching them can be painful because of the vein. However, you can gently roll them between thumb and forefinger to loosen the cap, which will help relieve the itchiness. I like to (GENTLY) pinch the caps of pin feathers to loosen it, and then rub, and the cap will kind of crumble off.

Rest: molting birds might be grumpy and exhausted from their molt, so it's important to make sure they're getting their 10-12 hrs of relative darkness and quiet at night.

Also, birds should only have a "full" molt once or twice a year. If you notice that they're molting more often than that it's possible you're triggering the molt. Molts can be triggered if their sleep schedule is irregular or they're not getting enough dark hours.

OP
Fluffonia

Fluffonia

Aug 4, 2023
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Red sided ekkie female -
Ruby
Nutrition: extra protein (fish, nuts), extra calcium (eggs, cuttlebone), and extra iron (spinach) are good for a molting bird.

Bathing: misting with a spray bottle if your bird lets you helps relieve itchiness.

Pin feathers: newly grown feathers have little caps on them, and a molting bird might have a lot of these! They're very itchy, but they're also very sensitive. Newly formed feathers are also called "blood feathers" because they have a vein as they're growing in. Be careful around pin feathers. Tugging or scratching them can be painful because of the vein. However, you can gently roll them between thumb and forefinger to loosen the cap, which will help relieve the itchiness. I like to (GENTLY) pinch the caps of pin feathers to loosen it, and then rub, and the cap will kind of crumble off.

Rest: molting birds might be grumpy and exhausted from their molt, so it's important to make sure they're getting their 10-12 hrs of relative darkness and quiet at night.

Also, birds should only have a "full" molt once or twice a year. If you notice that they're molting more often than that it's possible you're triggering the molt. Molts can be triggered if their sleep schedule is irregular or they're not getting enough dark hours.
Thanks! Would try! Just wondering if your birdies are molting too? Many seems to be,

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Mine are, actually! Parrots often seem to molt in early fall. My doves though seem to just molt whenever they feel like it and they shed their entire coat of down feathers every time haha.

I don't generally do much different for my molting birds, other than paying special attention to their pin feathers when cuddling and being very careful about making sure they get enough sleep. The other tips I listed are just kind of extra. For an ekkie though I think it would make sense to pay special mind to nutrition during a molt, since from what I understand their diets are supposed to be mainly fresh food, so focusing on the specific nutrients they need would be good since they can't have fortified pellets.

OP
Fluffonia

Fluffonia

Aug 4, 2023
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Red sided ekkie female -
Ruby
Mine are, actually! Parrots often seem to molt in early fall. My doves though seem to just molt whenever they feel like it and they shed their entire coat of down feathers every time haha.

I don't generally do much different for my molting birds, other than paying special attention to their pin feathers when cuddling and being very careful about making sure they get enough sleep. The other tips I listed are just kind of extra. For an ekkie though I think it would make sense to pay special mind to nutrition during a molt, since from what I understand their diets are supposed to be mainly fresh food, so focusing on the specific nutrients they need would be good since they can't have fortified pellets.
Thanks! Really appreciate it!

Most Reactions