moluccan attitude

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
A petstore near my house has a moluccan cockatoo and she is extremely mellow. Her movments looked like they were in slow motion and she was just very calm. She was beautiful, I love the salmon color throughout her body but she never raised her crest so I didnt get to see how colorful that was. She was a very good talker, I thought someone was talking to me but it turns out it was just her. Anyway, I was wondering if this was normal behavior or was she just and odd ball.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
She's trying to reel you in! Trust me your not ready for a Cockatoo....at least not the big ones....

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots
Ricco - Goffin's Cockatoo
Hehe. I have never been around a Moluccan, other than one breeding pair. From what I have noticed with Ozzy, my friend's Umbrella, when he moves kind of in slow motion it's because he is super excited about something and wants to get closer sneakily.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
She's trying to reel you in! Trust me your not ready for a Cockatoo....at least not the big ones....

No no, I know I'm no where near ready for something that big I was just in there to pick up some more formula and decided to talk with the too and wondered if it was normal behavior. The only too's I would ever think about getting would be a rose breasted or a LSC but that will probably never happen.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
My M2 is super calm and doesn't typically make quick movements. Shes really social and loves meeting new people (she will go to any stranger). She also has a really good vocabulary and talks up a storm. True to form shes really cuddly and sweet. Yes they can be loud (very loud) but mine is relatively quiet, very rarely does she scream. If an M2 were to bite it would be a very nasty one but mine has never bitten, nor has she ever offered to bite. They are very sensitive birds and don't take change very well (as with most of the Toos in general). When it comes to M2s the males are the dominate aggressors of the pair (in captivity they often kill their mates) and can be more difficult to manage than the females.

It is hard to keep one happy. My M2 is loose all day with tons of toys, shes only caged at night when she sleeps. They can become demanding of attention so you have to be strict with them, so that they don't become spoiled. I didn't get my Too until she was 16yrs old and I'm her third home. Shes been an absolute joy to have. IMPO M2s shouldn't be in captivity, I really don't think that an M2 is ever going to be truly happy unless it is where it belongs. They don't seem to handle captivity as well as other birds.

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
My ex's dad just adopted one a few days ago. Sydney is very calm and quiet for the most part. S/he is also very friendly to everybody. They were not expecting that after just adopting this bird who is 15 years old. I'm not a fan of the feet or beak :p lol The videos my ex has sent me of this bird show s/he always moving in slow motion and always talking up a storm and happy to just hang out with everybody. I guess Sydney isn't alone in the crazy sloooooooow moooooooooooootion movements. :)

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
They are crazy intelligent and I think they move slower because (it seems to me) every move they make is carefully calculated. Its eerie sometimes, just how intelligent they are. My vet told me that they are on the same level of a Grey, except they aren't as 'hot' as a Grey and that they like to cuddle more.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
They're all intelligent, but they're so unpredictable! Tonight I was playing with Java, for no apparent reason, he bit my thumb real good after he was being sweet to begin with. All of a sudden, he just chump down on my thumb and there goes the blood flowing....It took me years to calm Dixie down, my other too who was in bad shape when I got her. She used to bite as well. But working with Java have been the worst as I've got scars all over my fingers and arms to show....I am unsure what I am going to do with Java as my partner wants me to find him a new home cause he's really bad with everyone and I am the only one who can hold him, but he's got his moments with me and my partner is tired of watching me bandaging up my fingers, hands, and arms. I don't want to use a glove for training as it can be a bad thing but I am starting to get tired of being bit up....Java is very stubborn like a child so that makes the training very hard. You can not tell him no and he retaliates by being super bad. For those who thinks they can trust their too, I would NEVER allow one near by face! Someone I know who's owned them for a long time got rid of ALL his toos, he had 4 of them. 3 Moluccan and one Umbrella, he wouldn't tell me why. But I think they probably drove him nuts. I'm not one to give up easy, but after you've been attacked by the same bird for so many times. You really think twice about having one near your face. I still love Cockatoos dearly no matter what. But I am really starting to question what to do with Java.

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
I worked with am Umbrella like that Mikey. He was a 30 year old breeder bird who had killed his mate, so they sent him to the Rainforest Cafe in Downtown Disney to be one of their educational parrots. He loved to play and cuddle, but was super unpredictable and would randomly try to bite.

He also bit the toes off two seperate birds there. Both accidents over the years, I wasn't there for the first, but the second he escaped his cage and went over to a female umbrella's.. She came over to say hi and he bit her toe off.

I'll stick with my Macaws!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
That sounds like Java as he's tried to attack other bird's toes through his cage when they flew on top, I freak out and get them off of it ASAP!!! he's not trustworthy!

Most Reactions