Monster Playstand Tutorial

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Ok, I'm a little confused.... You want to send pictures to someone so they can upload them to the forum? Is that it? Or you haven't taken pictures yet? I'm having one of those "what??!!" moments here:rolleyes:

Correct. I am technologically impaired...

Either that, or I need the idiots guide to getting the pictures out of my phone, and into the post where they go... (Which is especially problematic since I haven't actually connected my phone to email or even hooked it up to my internet service yet. I am just not a "gadget" person.)

I've taken pictures of everything but the wrapping, and the finished stand, which I haven't done yet, but hope to finish this weekend...

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Do you know how to send them from your phone to email? I could try uploading them for you......

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Do you know how to send them from your phone to email? I could try uploading them for you......

Yeah, but it's a new phone. (My old one got stolen.) I'll haven't set anything up yet. I'm planning to do all that this weekend...

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)

Yeah, but it's a new phone. (My old one got stolen.) I'll haven't set anything up yet. I'm planning to do all that this weekend...
Nothing special, All you need is the USB cable you use to charge the phone with.. plug into your computer, go to 'my computer' phone will pop up in a minute. look at it as a storage device. Photos are in a folder 'DCIM'.

If you get real lucky, windows may pop up and ask if you want to import the pics!

tjwolf1

Mar 1, 2010
Parrots
Miligold macaw, cockatiel... Also co-exist with an African grey (husband's bird)
I am super interested in seeing the results. I can pm you my email and get them uploaded if you want. I won't be able to put them in the "reserved" posts though.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Finally finished the stupid thing!

I feel like this thing was snake bitten, but in the end it turned out even better than the old one. Its actually bigger than Maggie's double macaw cage.

And this one is glued. Its put together to stay.

I sprained my ankle working on this thing Friday night, tripped over some PVC pipe on The floor.

The sissal rope wrap was an epic fail. Spent all friggin day wrapping one level of perches, and didn't get it tight enough. So I tore it out again and redid it.

I ended up using gorilla tape as perch wrap, but it was late at night and the only color they had was black. Well, it turns out every single one of my birds is terrified of black perches... So today I redid it again using gorrilla camiflage colored tape, which turned out really cool.

I also reconfigured about a dozen toys...

Now its the man overboard playstand I originally envisioned.

Last edited:

jrerek

Jan 23, 2015
Parrots
Orange winged amazon
sun conure
Birdman what kind of phone do you have? Cause if you can build a play stand you can easily upload pics from phone. Unless it isn't a smartphone

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I am now officially crafted out.

And I still have a man overboard table to put together.

JamJar

Jan 25, 2015
Dubai
Parrots
Orange-Winged Amazon ~ Marley
Im really excited to see the pics. I'm a plumber and have probably near to 100m of spare PVC pipe laying around.. what size did you use? 1/2" or 3/4" ?

i was also wondering why couldn't u wrap the perches in some sandpaper wouldn't that be nice on there feet you could do them in all different grades of sandpaper lol

soon as the pics are up il be using it as a guide to my own beastly plc play stand :)

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Sandpaper irritates their feet. I don't like using sandpaper perches. Gorilla tape works really well. It holds up, and the birds don't chew on it. You just have to wrap slowly, one at a time. It's not like vet wrap, where you can just do the whole pipe in one sitting. I used to use vet wrap, but it gets nasty fairly quickly, and you end up having to re-do the whole thing every 3-6 months. That gets old, fast.

I used I inch PVC pipe.

I use the half inch for conure sized birds, one inch for the larger birds.

Last edited:
OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Birdman what kind of phone do you have? Cause if you can build a play stand you can easily upload pics from phone. Unless it isn't a smartphone

Assumes my home computer still works... it was old and crapped out on me.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)

Assumes my home computer still works... it was old and crapped out on me.

But you don't need the computer to upload the pics, Mark. Not if your phone is a smartphone... which I'm assuming it is since you are able to access the internet to post on the forum.

So just let us know whether you are using your cell to go directly to the ParrotForums site, or if you are using the Tapatalk interface. That way one of us can talk you through the process.

Or you could take up Melissa (Sunset_Chaser) on her offer to upload the pics for you if you email them to her.

Chop chop, buddy! Just getting on your case since you're a self-proclaimed "lazy B@$#&*%, ...easily distracted from the task at hand..." Hahaha! So come on! Let's make it happen! :D

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I'll email them when I get home from work.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Okay. Photos are up... My work here is done. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP WENDY!

The new play table may actually end up being TWICE as cool as this... I'll do the same thing with that one.

MAN OVERBOARD.

HAPPY CRAFTING...

Last edited:

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Wow! You weren't kidding Mark, that playstand is massive! Great job!

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Wow! You weren't kidding Mark, that playstand is massive! Great job!

Best of all, I don't have to do it again for another dozen years or more.

Wait til you see the play table. It's going to be the best of both worlds...

Grapewood, plus PVC, plus homemade furniture!

IT'S A BIRDIE COFFEE TABLE!

AND IT'S GOING TO BE COMPLETELY PORTABLE...

YEAH! TOTALLY MAN OVERBOARD...

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Thanks for the tip regarding Gorilla tape. Never knew it could be used.

WOW that is big ! Great job

For one bird you just scale it down, make it one section on each side. You could probably do that for around $120.00 wrap the cargo net around the upper level perches, and then you get ten times the playstand vs. a store bought playstand, at less than half the cost, and it will last a decade or more...

And your bird will WANT to stay on it.

PVC is wonderful stuff!

You can make some pretty cool flyers with it too... my stands are actually on the simple side. I keep them basic and easy to make. You CAN go fancy.

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
Birdman, if you have a smartphone with internet you can get the photobucket app that allows a quick upload from your phone camera and it's really easy and self explanatory. From there you can post a link of your photos to this website. So very quick and easy.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Thanks for the tip regarding Gorilla tape. Never knew it could be used.

WOW that is big ! Great job

For one bird you just scale it down, make it one section on each side. You could probably do that for around $120.00 wrap the cargo net around the upper level perches, and then you get ten times the playstand vs. a store bought playstand, at less than half the cost, and it will last a decade or more...

And your bird will WANT to stay on it.

PVC is wonderful stuff!

You can make some pretty cool flyers with it too... my stands are actually on the simple side. I keep them basic and easy to make. You CAN go fancy.

Just what I was thinking. I have to do something soon. You have inspired me . I am off work Friday. Car has to go in for oil change and brakes so I plan on hitting lowes while that is being done.
Thanks to your directions I should be able to do it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts