Monty's Favorite Chop

ScooterMcTavish

Jan 12, 2016
Great White North
Parrots
Monty - DYH Amazon, Rhubarb - Galah, Verdi - Canary
Since having Monty, Mrs. Scooter has tried making chop a few times with little success. There is something in the ingredients or the preparation that for some reason the birds didn't like.

So based on a list of foods Cockatoos like, I made some chop last night for our new RB2, and of course Monty. Net result was I've never seen Monty eat so much. I think he pretty much ate nonstop for about 45 minutes. Obviously we had a winner here.

For future chops I may try upping the amount of veg, and lowering the amount of carbs. That being said, all the carbs are healthy and not starchy, and it seems to freeze and reheat well (tried this AM). The recipe was pretty simple. For the grains, these were the dry volumes, so after adding water, the quantity was higher than that listed.

Chop
1 small bag shredded mini carrots
1.5 cups barley
1.5 cups brown rice
1.5 cups red lentils
1 med bag radishes
1 white turnip
1 yellow pepper
1 green pepper
3 ears of corn
1 clamshell package spring salad mix
1.5 cups rolled oats
1 large handful green beans

I laid down the base of the rolled oats first, as I knew they would be good to absorb any extra moisture from any of the cooked grains. In fact, the only cooked item that was a bit wet was the lentils - I may try and cook them to a bit firmer next time so they don't mash up into the chop.

So the barley, rice and lentils were all cooked, and everything else was added raw. I also decided on fresh corn vs frozen and cut the kernels off by hand.

Some suggest blending the chop super fine so that everything gets mixed together. However, Monty rejected this consistency of this when Mrs. Scooter made it, so I chopped everything in the food processor to small, but still recognizable bits. He appeared to eat some of everything, including carrots (which he normally hates), and also looked like he enjoyed the foraging aspect of it.

As suggested by others, I also dusted the chop with unsweetened coconut, and mixed in a tiny bit of coconut oil before serving.

Monty "helping" me package the chop:

1AFD3259-B138-4C89-A426-708896042523_zpsr083rvob.jpg

And him not even pretending to help any more:

78BA0254-E913-4A54-B866-A4E21C71C9BF_zpsmrqm1vxm.jpg

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Ah so cute! Wonderful pics of Monty helping and wonderful chop.

Dryer mix: I have used Ground Flax seed and Chia Seed, allowing cooked ingredients to drain well also helps.

Last edited:
OP
ScooterMcTavish

ScooterMcTavish

Jan 12, 2016
Great White North
Parrots
It actually has a little less grain than it looks in the photos - radish and turnip do not add a ton of color to the mix - but there is a lot in there.

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
Looks yummy! I like my chop to be a bit carb heavy with beans and grains because I add some fresh fruit or veggies when I serve it, so it balances out.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That chop looks awesome! And that picture of Monty stirring the chop is one of the cutest things I have ever seen.

OP
ScooterMcTavish

ScooterMcTavish

Jan 12, 2016
Great White North
Parrots
Looks yummy! I like my chop to be a bit carb heavy with beans and grains because I add some fresh fruit or veggies when I serve it, so it balances out.

Good point,

Due to spoilage and reheating issues, I specifically left fruit out of the chop. Monty and Rhubarb do get a serving of veg and fruit daily (even if just apple) which will help balance off the carbs.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Chop looks great, and that image of Monty stirring needs to be picture of the month submission in an appropriately themed month!

Most Reactions

Latest posts