Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
IMG_8108.jpeg
IMG_8109.jpeg

IMG_8111.jpeg

Big chop day today! This should probably last us about 9-10 months. Started cooking 5 hours ago and still need to pack!

Hereā€™s what we have:

Chickpeas
Green Lentils
Red lentils
Split peas
Farro
Couscous
Dino kale
Carrots
Carrot tops
Baby bok choi
Fennel
Purple cabbage
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Black rice
Bell peppers
Ginger root
Turmeric root
Moringa powder
Ground flaxseed
Sweet potato
Frozen aƧaƭ (blended)
Frozen kelp (blended)
Rolled oats

24 ingredients. Not too bad!!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
View attachment 53925View attachment 53926
View attachment 53927

Big chop day today! This should probably last us about 9-10 months. Started cooking 5 hours ago and still need to pack!

Hereā€™s what we have:

Chickpeas
Green Lentils
Red lentils
Split peas
Farro
Couscous
Dino kale
Carrots
Carrot tops
Baby bok choi
Fennel
Purple cabbage
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Black rice
Bell peppers
Ginger root
Turmeric root
Moringa powder
Ground flaxseed
Sweet potato
Frozen aƧaƭ (blended)
Frozen kelp (blended)
Rolled oats

24 ingredients. Not too bad!!
That looks delicious! I want some. Maybe if my budgie Rocky is a good girl (fat chance) I'll share with her!
Do you start with raw dried lentils and peas? How long do you cook them? How soft are they when cooked?
What is moringa powder?
What ratios of ingredients?
Basically I'm asking for your recipe. Thanks!

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Lol! No recipe, really. I just decide ingredients, and use them all completely, no leftovers. So Iā€™m not using just half a head of cauliflower to meet a recipe. The ratios turn out to be whatever they turn out to be.

Full bag of each bean (yes, all dried), plus all the veggies.

Moringa powder is a vegetable powder, youā€™ll have to look it up specifically what Moringa is. I know itā€™s parrot safe, I researched it months ago with his previous batch but canā€™t recall specifics. The general concept with it is to use a vegetable/fruit powder, which you can find in the ā€œhealthyā€ aisle with vitamins, assorted herbal supplements, etc. youā€™ll find things like turmeric powder, moringa powder, beetroot powder, to name a few. Great way to add something new and nutritious to the chop.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Lol! No recipe, really. I just decide ingredients, and use them all completely, no leftovers. So Iā€™m not using just half a head of cauliflower to meet a recipe. The ratios turn out to be whatever they turn out to be.

Full bag of each bean (yes, all dried), plus all the veggies.

Moringa powder is a vegetable powder, youā€™ll have to look it up specifically what Moringa is. I know itā€™s parrot safe, I researched it months ago with his previous batch but canā€™t recall specifics. The general concept with it is to use a vegetable/fruit powder, which you can find in the ā€œhealthyā€ aisle with vitamins, assorted herbal supplements, etc. youā€™ll find things like turmeric powder, moringa powder, beetroot powder, to name a few. Great way to add something new and nutritious to the chop.
How do you cook the legumes? Boil? For how long? My budgie would need them soft.

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

i just follow the package instructions. I might under cook by a minute to aid in moisture absorption within the chop (water is the killer of chop, just in case you werenā€™t away).

But I also do serve lentils as sprouts which is soft but crisp.

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
i just follow the package instructions. I might under cook by a minute to aid in moisture absorption within the chop (water is the killer of chop, just in case you werenā€™t away).

But I also do serve lentils as sprouts which is soft but crisp.
Yep, yep yep. Couldn't agree more.
That chop is inspirational! I'm going to get off my lazy you know what and make chop this weekend so your post is pivotal for me. Thanks for posting this Chris!!!!

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

My pleasure! This is his evening meals so will last maybe 9-10 months. 7 hrs of work every 10 months is totally worth what I get back nightly!

Most Reactions

Latest posts