Mood swing Macaw (couple)

edge60626

Dec 16, 2013
HELP ME!!!! I just bought 2 Macaws (Wilma and Fred) The female is a B&G and the male is Military. They have been together for about 4 years and I am sure they are boded with one another however, to my knowledge they have never produced offspring nor did the last owner try. I have noticed that they squabble and nip one another. They are certainly not all lovey dovey all the time. They don't get in an all out brawl but it seems that they bully one another. If I separate them the B&G goes crazy and squawks loudly and try's to follow. The Male Military bird, not so much. He LOVES to just hang out on my shoulder. Wilma, the B&G will get pissy and she will start biting me when she is in a mood. She bits hard and when I react she bits down harder like she was angry. Other times she is sweet and will kiss and let me scratch her neck. Fred on the other hand is even tempered and even though being scratched is NOT his favorite...once he is on my shoulder...he doesn't want to leave.
I am concerned on why my B&G has such mood swings, something is making her mad and it seems like when the two birds are fighting or arguing, that is when she gets REAL moody. She will lunge at me though the cage or if she is out of the cage she will chase after me if I am giving Fred any attention. I am not sure if this is due to the birds being a couple. Fred seems to be bonding with me a lot better than Wilma however Wilma mostly is good and she lets me touch, hold and scratch her. She will clean my ear when on my shoulder and give me the tongue kiss when I ask for it. But piss her off and Hell Hath No Fury! I don't seem to upset her, it seems as if Fred does and then she is out to hate the world. So my guess are
1: Could she be jealous of Fred?
2: Could she dislike me for interfering with her mate?
3: Would separating them be a good idea?
4: Why do the two fight? (they don't brawl, just nip and squawk at one another)
Things would make more sense if she was a single bird, however, I am confused at their relationship dynamic and I don't know if its ME or them that cause the moodiness.
I am also afraid now to let her on my shoulder...if she gets mad she could take off a good chunk off ear!!!!
She is NOT molting however she does have feathers on her chest that are gone (no bare skin, I see the grey under feathers) Her back is a bit ruffled as well. The last owner told me the male did that to her. Please help me with what is going on and please help me solve the issue. Thanks

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
HELP ME!!!!

1. Macaws are jealous birds.
2. Entirely possible.
3. Not if they're bonded.
4. You assume they are fighting. Beak wrestling, however, is also a form of play.

OP
E

edge60626

Dec 16, 2013
HELP ME!!!!

1. Macaws are jealous birds.
2. Entirely possible.
3. Not if they're bonded.
4. You assume they are fighting. Beak wrestling, however, is also a form of play.
I have seen them grab each others beak and pull, usually ends up with one regulating in the others mouth. However, this is nipping at the feet and what sounds like squalking madly or at least upsetly.

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)
I know a pair of macaws that act like that. Both females, though. Like an old married couple...gotta get the digs in. :D But seriously, I know part of their reason is boredom. They have NO toys in the cage. I'm assuming that your's have things to do other than pick on each other.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
HELP ME!!!!

I have seen them grab each others beak and pull, usually ends up with one regulating in the others mouth. However, this is nipping at the feet and what sounds like squalking madly or at least upsetly.

That would be feeding behaviors, indicative of affection.

I've got two bonded birds that were raised together that chase each other around the bird room sometimes. You'd think that one was trying to kill the other one, but nope, they're just playing...

Most Reactions