Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
So as you may have heard, Australia is up in flames at the moment.
I live at the base of the Blue Mountains, so not directly in threat, but we have had some scares...

Well last night I was awoken at 5am to large explosions. I sat up in bed wondering if I had dreamed it. But I could hear alarms and sirens.. I looked out the window and I could see a line of flames next door! I panicked, quickly put some clothes on and ran outside. There was already 4 fire trucks and an ambulance and a crowd of people wondering what was going on. Our units here are designed with underground garages that we all share. So the whole building is on top of the garage. Well someone had lit one of the cars on fire, and it exploded, causing everything to go up in flames in the garage. The fire then spread up into the building. It was so scary. Another two fire trucks and an ambulance came, taking away people who had breathed in a lot of smoke. It was that thick black chemical smoke too, as there was a lot of petrol on fire.

After a long and stressful hour, the poor firey's had finally got the fire out. I felt bad for them, they are going through enough right now with all the bush fire, and then this has happened, and I'm sure is happening around other areas still. I am unsure if the fire was a deliberate attack or was random, but it was extremely terrifying to see. The unit is literally right next door, only a small ally way separates us, and my unit is the furthest facing out, so if the fire came here, I would have been first to catch it. It has freaked me right out, thinking that it could of easily been us that was set alight. :( Everyone has been evacuated and can not return home at this time. Some of the units look completely damaged, where as others seem untouched.

A very scary morning here!

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Oh that's so scary! Here in Alaska (interior Alaska) is pretty scary in the summer. It's so dry, this year I think like 300,000 or something burned in a single fire we had. It's always so scary, and when it's close to you. I'm glad that you nor your pets were hurt.
I hope it was an accident and not a deliberate action!

OP
kc_y0

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
It wasn't an accident, I know that much . :( But I am unsure if it was a targeted attack, or just random.. at first I was thinking maybe a pyscho ex boyfriend or something! But who knows, the police won't give us much info, they don't know much yet either.

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Oh no. That's awful. I hope it all works out ok :(

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Oh jeepers how terrifying! Grrrrr i get filled with anger when i hear how idiots light dangerous fires in an attempt to cause harm and panic. *snarls out loud*

I'm so glad your ok! I remember when I lived in Victoria years ago when there were those 3 huge fires. We lived only 20 minutes from the largest fire and we lived on the top of a hill. I could see all 3 fires clearly, even the red glow in the smoke.

I was so scared because my parents were at work and my little siblings were home, and i had never driven a car.. I was all prepared to throw everyone in the car and take off.

The wind only had to change and the 3 fires would become 1 and just destroy my area within minutes. Luckily that didn't happen.. But it was scary. Cant imagine how scared YOU were.

Edit: Black Saturday I think it was called. Awful 120km winds.. And to think we were about to move into a house in Kinglake.

Last edited:
OP
kc_y0

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
I remember Black Saturday.. :( That was so tragic.. The fire moved so fast, people didn't even get a chance to move out!
We had 100k winds and 38 degrees, but thankfully no one was hurt, just a lot of homes destroyed. :(

It makes me sick to think people light them. Found so far have been 11 year old boy and two 14-15 year old girls!!!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
An 11-year-old boy and two 14-year-olds lit fires near us and two eight-year-olds were caught trying to! Honestly! It really is terrifying to think we're at the mercy of these souls without the smallest regard for Life. I'm glad you're safe, KC. Hope the scary feelings go away soon! XX

OP
kc_y0

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Its horrible to hear that its children doing it....... 8 year old is just INSANE!! 8!! 8 years old! Thats a year and a half older then my daughter.. I just can't picture someone so young doing such a thing!

Most Reactions

Latest posts