More questions

Dougc1369

Dec 23, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
Parrots
Zack, a Blue Fronted Amazon
I was looking for foraging toys for Zack and couldn't find any at the chain stores so I was wondering if I could substitute dog or cat foraging toys. I found a brand called kong but they were made of rubber or plastic. Not sure if that would be good for him? I was also wondering about some dog chew toys such as rawhide and antler (yeah I can find antler dog chew toys but no bird foraging toys in the chain stores, lol). What about stuffed animal toys?
I know they won't last long but he might enjoy them if it isn't bad for him.

I did find a bird store in town and will try to get there this weekend, hopefully they will have what I need.

Thanks,

Doug

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Hi Doug, you'd find a good selection at a bird specialty store. If there are none in your area, try a reputable online company like mysafebirdstore.com.

Kongs should be okay for your Amazon, in fact I'm almost sure I remember seeing bird Kongs too. Supervise with stuffed animals so you could watch that frayed parts don't cause the bird to get tangled in it. Also, for some reason, birds ALWAYS go for the eyes first. They will tear the stuffed animal's eyes right out.

You could also make some yourself. Cheaper too. Wrap nuts or something in paper and string them together? Hey, I'm giving myself ideas now! Hope this helps some.

OP
Dougc1369

Dougc1369

Dec 23, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
Parrots
Zack, a Blue Fronted Amazon
It does thanks. I was also told to use a paper towel roll, close the ends and put treats in it. I like your idea better tho.

pacoparrot

Jun 7, 2012
Media
Scranton PA
Parrots
Darwin- Male Ekkie
Charlie- Cinnamon GCC
Twiggy- Cockatiel
RIP Paco, Jack, and Echo </3
For Paco my DYH Amazon he loves when I take a block of wood and drill big holes in it. Then you can takes some nuts and other hard safe objects and cram them into the holes. If he's anything like Paco he'll get right to work trying to pull all of the pieces out. Paper towel rolls are a must. Get some scissors and fray the ends of them to make them more appealing. As far as stuffed animals go if he likes them, fleece is the safest fabric for animals so maybe just make a little stuffed toy for him out of fleece and some rope. I've found that a fresh food skewer is a big hit with my amazon and my conures.

Most Reactions