Moth problems

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I have been seeing several moths as of late in the house and they seem to congrigate around the room where I have the cages setup. So I'm thinking it's from the seed mixture or from one of the stuffed toys. Anyone else having issues with moths?

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
I only get a month in the house once in a while at certain times of year. I think the ones I see just get in from outside when we open the door. It's cheap entertainment watching the one cat fling herself into the air in an attempt to catch the moth. (not so entertaining to see her eat it... gross lol)

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Seeds seem like something a moth might like to breed in...

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I only get a month in the house once in a while at certain times of year. I think the ones I see just get in from outside when we open the door. It's cheap entertainment watching the one cat fling herself into the air in an attempt to catch the moth. (not so entertaining to see her eat it... gross lol)

ROFLMAO!!!! Mine do the same... :)

Mike,

Put seeds in close tight container, that would keep them contained. Or put your bag of seeds in the freezer for an hour or two, that would take care of it. Just make sure its sealed so no moisture can get into it.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
It depends on what type of moth it is. If small it is possible they are hatching from your seed. These first appear as little larva in clumps of seed. Yes the freezer is a good place for the seed as Mikey has said. We have a lot of trouble with those things in summer here, it's the perfect time for them to hatch

But if they are coming from outdoors, a yellow fluro light will deter them from coming into the house. We have yellow fluro's everywhere out side. They do keep the bugs away. Works like a charm.

Most Reactions

Latest posts