How to tell if crop is full?

scraff

Oct 20, 2011
I have a lovebird, had him from breeder for 4 month-ish.
How do u tell if their crop is full? Is this where they store food?

He only eats seeds, and he will try any other food, but I'm worried he isn't actually eating any of it. I put a slice of apple in the cage bars. Later it will be destroyed, but it SEEMS most, if not all is on the cage floor.

I've never seen him take a bite of anything without it dropping from his mouth. Is this normal??

I tried not giving seed for a whole day, and just giving pellets. He still poo'ed during the day a couple of times. Would this just be from food in crop? Or is he actually eating the pellets and veg?

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
All birds, especially parrots tend to be messy eaters. If they were in the wild they would be doing the jungle floor a lot of good, but not your living room. I wouldn't assume since the food is at the bottom of the cage it hasn't been eaten at all.

If you have questions about your birds eating they can be ultimately answered by ur avian vet, but alot can be discerned I am told by their feces. Too dark, too watery, etc can all detail problems with their diet.

As for seed diets, well everything I have read, and everyone I have spoken to tells me that only seeds is a bad idea. I have also personally witnessed the "birdie crack" effect from sunflower and safflower seeds. There is too much fat in an only seed diet and that leads to liver problems. Seeds should only be used for the most part as treats, and not a lot at one time.

Fresh fruits and veggies are likely ur best bet when it comes to foods, but also a good pellet diet can really help with nutritional balance. When choosing what veggies and fruits to give do ur homework. Seeds from Papaya for instance contain cyanide so just the fruit itself should be given. And dried fruits must be chemical free (sulfides) or they can kill ur bird too.

As for the crop being full I really have nothing to add, but if he is eliminating his waste with no problems I would assume things are working properly.

Your lovebird is absolutely beautiful BTW.

Last edited:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
In the pictures below, Mishka's crop is visible, and full.
When feeding the crop begins to fill up, when almost filled it is enough.
Mishka used to love me rubbing the crop after a feed.
The crop should be filled until it feels like a soft water balloon, i.e. it should still have “give” to it, not be taut or hard.
The crop should be allowed to empty completely at least once every 24 hours. Hand-feeding formula is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria and other organisms; therefore, formula should be mixed up fresh every time and not stored.

antoinette-albums-miahka-baby-pictures-picture2842-mishka-looking-content-full-crop.jpg

antoinette-albums-miahka-baby-pictures-picture2843-mishka-sleeping-after-being-fed.jpg

Last edited:
OP
S

scraff

Oct 20, 2011
Thanks for your replies, very helpful information. Since I posted that message, I have tried giving rice (white rice, but will use brown next time) and he gobbles it down without dropping any of it!

OP
S

scraff

Oct 20, 2011
Also thanks for the tips on sulfides, I hadnt realised this, I havent given him anything that could contain it, but ill check infuture!

I give him pellets but same with these, most of it end up on the floor. I will try some brown rice, with all the goodness in, and some similar foods, see how he eats them.

Most Reactions