Moulting or ...

kanundra

Apr 25, 2013
Lancashire
Parrots
IRN blue
overly aggressive in preening?

He lost another this morning, when across the room to see me. What alarmed me about this one is that it really has been hacked....

The first feather is one he bent in the cage and knawed at till he snapped it off, it's the latter one which looks like it's been a bad butcher job on wing clipping.

It seems to me that he could be moulting. I'm going to upload a video of him preening and let you guys see it. I don't know if it's overly aggressive or not, never owning a bird before. However, I did spot within his wings 'new growth' tiny pin prick sticking out things inside which he also seemed very interested in.

I've never handled a bird before. And wouldn't know what I am looking for or how to catch him. At present I'm only just gaining his trust with his fav foods etc.

But I'm thinking a trip to a vet might be a good port of call.

His diet has improved loads since we first got him. (Although I must admit at present he's still on crappy cheap parrot food as I just went out and bought what he was already on) I know now there are too many sunflower seeds and bad things in it. He is eating loads of fresh veg and fruit though. And heading into summer... he's much better this morning but still a little cranky as far as I can tell.

Anyway, here's the pics and the video link will follow... as it's uploading now.

Thanks for looking.

Okay here's a link to my blog I've posted them there instead lol

http://kanundra.wordpress.com/2013/05/2 ... -feathers/

OP
K

kanundra

Apr 25, 2013
Lancashire
Parrots
IRN blue
Thanks for the reply. No bald spots. That I can see, he looks in good nick. Saw a few sticky out bits underneath his wings when he was preening. They looked like large needles (only way I can describe em) so I think they're new feathers...

And I've not seen him pull anything, but he's cranky. Just gave him a bath and he's had some food and is now eating his mop head toy.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Thanks for the reply. No bald spots. That I can see, he looks in good nick. Saw a few sticky out bits underneath his wings when he was preening. They looked like large needles (only way I can describe em) so I think they're new feathers...

And I've not seen him pull anything, but he's cranky. Just gave him a bath and he's had some food and is now eating his mop head toy.

Relieved to hear that no bald spots

Definitely sounds like molting especially the way you have described the following
Saw a few sticky out bits underneath his wings when he was preening. They looked like large needles (only way I can describe em) so I think they're new feathers.

All birds become a bit cranky when molting, it will pass soon.

:grey:

OP
K

kanundra

Apr 25, 2013
Lancashire
Parrots
IRN blue
The wordpress file on my blog? they should show up right away.

Bobby's now been doing his little heartshaped dance with his wings and regurgitating on his perch. Then he went back inside to take it out on his toy again.... Is this mating season and moulting? Eeek, in a couple of days he's gone from being a quiet bird to the bird from hell...

I can quite imagine why people give them up after around 15mths, if they do act like this. When he was out the cage this morning eating on my knees, he was a sweetie, nibbling my fingers too. :) Weird this getting to know a bird and their behaviours. But I'm here for the long haul. His character is so awesome. It took me 6mths to hand tame my koi so I could scoop them up at feeding time for a feel, if it takes me longer with him, I'll be fine :)

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I checked it out, very nice blog! Yeah, spring rolls around and all hell breaks loose in birddom. :)

OP
K

kanundra

Apr 25, 2013
Lancashire
Parrots
IRN blue
Thanks for the reply.

He's had half an hour in his 'water bowl' now and insists on trying to drown himself rather than use the bigger bowls I provide for him, silly birdie. I've had a closer look at his wing feathers as he covered me in water. It seems he's only got 2 large feathers on each side. The others are missing from the middle part. Wether this is because they were clipped or because he's moulted them.

I am thinking I need to sort a vet trip out for him anyway, so will speak to a couple tomorrow and find out how good they are before the trip. We have one local who was recommended by a friend with a Macaw, but our local charity says the nearest one is a 45 min drive. I'll have a chat with them both and see where we lie.

Thanks for the looks though.

OP
K

kanundra

Apr 25, 2013
Lancashire
Parrots
IRN blue
Had a good look over the net, scared myself silly now.

Seeing as Bobby has only been here 4 weeks. I'm thinking it's stress related to being moved to a new home, new cage etc.

Although at least now, he's getting out of cage time, which he was used to in his new home, until they got an african grey and had him locked in for three weeks.

I'm not sure when this behaviour started but his aggression with one of his toys is getting a bit much. I've given him some rolled up paper with some sprouted seeds in today and he's having loads of fun with that. Perhaps he's been a little bored as well. At present he comes out the cage when he wants too and goes to bed when he's tired around anytime after 8-9

I must also admit my other half has had a bad cold so he's been up during the night he's been disturbed as has the whole house during the night :(

Makes you think about things in a different way though, and don't want him upset.

Still going to the vets as soon as I'm paid. Will ring around today to see and feel out cots and stress levels again in taking him.

Thanks for the support :)

OP
K

kanundra

Apr 25, 2013
Lancashire
Parrots
IRN blue
This is like my own little thread of talking to myself... (and a few others) lol....

Anyway, I moved his toy so he couldn't attack it while he was out of his cage. Now he's dancing at it and regurgitating food, but can't reach it. I'm not too sure it was a wise move. :( eeek

I've spent the day reading up on parrots and behaviours. And it's been a nice day to make some foraging stuff for him. I now have a list of things that I can use to make safe toys. :) So I think he'll at least be happier.

I'll keep reporting on how he's doing. Spoke also to my avian vets place. Not too bad to book him in. So Bobby may be going for his first vet visit soon... double eek. Any tips for getting him into a small carrier and on keeping him calm for 40 mins?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If not a carrier, you might try a small cage with a large door.

You'll have to figure out what Bobby likes the most and the setup for his cage. Foraging can be great for the birds once they figure it out! But they may need to be taught how to.

OP
K

kanundra

Apr 25, 2013
Lancashire
Parrots
IRN blue
Thanks, trying to get a visit to the vets sorted. Unfortunately they are only there today and I don't get paid till tomorrow. :( Might not be so easy next week as I'm not on holiday and able to catch him. Typical when there is a problem your firm never pay you on time and leave it till the last possible minute. Going to have to get a 'bobby' fund together so if there are any emergencies. Also getting him insured but that won't be till tomorrow and there's a waiting period, then... so we'll see how things go. With his feather problem, and aggression I really want to get him checked over. Not fair not too. I want to make sure it's just something natural or because of ? and not something I'm doing wrong.

OP
K

kanundra

Apr 25, 2013
Lancashire
Parrots
IRN blue
Defo will do :) Booked him in for next week. Might have to settle him in his old cage. At least I know that fits in the car. lol

Most Reactions