Mouse repellant

gibson2503

Jul 11, 2013
Media
Indiana
Parrots
Apollo (8 years old Sunday conure), and Ari (7 years old jenday conure) and Cosmo 9 years old goffins cockatoo). All DNA tested females.
We live in an older house. We are in the process of hunting down every mouse access point we can find and sealing them. In the mean time we want to find a mouse repellant that wonโ€™t harm our goffins cockatoo and sun conure. We keep their cages clean and floors swept and mopped but we are still seeing mice darting around. Every mouse repellant we can find mentions essential oils, which we have heard are bad for our birds, or other chemicals we canโ€™t even pronounce. What can we use as an effective repellant while we are finding the access points?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Mice don't stick around unless there is a food source. We had one last year and like you, keep the bird related mess down. We found out he was nibbling his way thru boxes of a variety of dry goods in one cabinet in our kitchen. We had to get metal tins to keep all that stuff. They will eat thru plastic ones. Things like boxes of Mac & Cheese, packets of gravy mix, that sort of thing. SO check your cabinets, in the back of them, for some mouse activity.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
There's sonic mouse repellents that are supposed to work. They can't be heard by anything other than rodents and are safe around birds, dogs, cats, etc. I've had mixed success with them.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I agree with Wrench13 about making food inaccessible as being the best โ€œ deterrent.โ€ If theyโ€™re nesting, they still might take awhile to go away. Iโ€™ve heard black pepper, cayenne pepper, and vinegar soaked cotton balls placed in mouse activity spots can help deter them. Havenโ€™t tried it myself though.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
There's sonic mouse repellents that are supposed to work. They can't be heard by anything other than rodents and are safe around birds, dogs, cats, etc. I've had mixed success with them.
I hear that!

J/K of course. If only rodents hear it, how do you know its working?
Do the ones that are not affected have hearing problems?
I am always leary of these larry-lightbulb devices.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I hear that!

J/K of course. If only rodents hear it, how do you know its working?
Do the ones that are not affected have hearing problems?
I am always leary of these larry-lightbulb devices.
Supposedly the mice keep away if its working, LOL. it is a rather tough call :D .

Most Reactions

Latest posts