Moving on to the shower...

dulphinz

Apr 30, 2013
NH
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Coco
Female B&G- Tinker
I put Coco in the shower every other day. He does't seem frightened as I let him get on his shower perch after turning on the water and he hops right on. How long should he be in the shower? I usually give him a good 10-15 minutes. He doesn't spread his wings or anything, he sits there with his eyes closed. (Picture). Also, a lot of people seem to shower with their bird but don't they need to shower in lukewarm/cold water?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367675000.820542.jpg

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I shower with my big macs, but not really like it sounds, lol. I put a bathing suit on (..please don't ask...), place them individually on the shower perch and mist them with lukewarm water until they are thoroughly soaked.

They get a shower like that at least once a week. Sometimes they get totally into it, but most times they sit there with a pitiful look on their face, waiting to be done. :eek:

OP
D

dulphinz

Apr 30, 2013
NH
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Coco
Female B&G- Tinker
He is now enjoying a little sun while playing:). What a little guy!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367676500.204800.jpg

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I shower with my big macs, but not really like it sounds, lol. I put a bathing suit on (..please don't ask...), place them individually on the shower perch and mist them with lukewarm water until they are thoroughly soaked.

They get a shower like that at least once a week. Sometimes they get totally into it, but most times they sit there with a pitiful look on their face, waiting to be done. :eek:

....ok. I'm going to leave the bathing suit comment alone....but it is tempting,LOL....one can only guess though :)

I would love to see a pic of the pair in the shower looking pitiful as you put it.

there's nothing like a good picture:;)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
....ok. I'm going to leave the bathing suit comment alone....but it is tempting,LOL....one can only guess though :)

I would love to see a pic of the pair in the shower looking pitiful as you put it.

there's nothing like a good picture:;)

I'll keep that in mind NEXT weekend, as we've JUST finished our water play.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Coco is adorable! I've tried the shower years ago and my CAG hated it! Maybe I will try again at some point. Maybe Savannah my macaw will like it better. Only time will tell. Thanks for sharing!

Wendy - That is great that you can get them to shower. What's wrong with a bathing suite? What no picture?? LOL! ;)

nicki

Mar 26, 2013
Media
Dallas TX
Parrots
6 mo old Eclectus :)
Ha, thats so cute! Thats basically what mine does, except the other day. I posted a vid of how well he was enjoying it, the showers after that he just seems sulky as before :)

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Well, I'm not afraid.....I think Wendy ought to post several demonstration photos just so there is no misunderstanding of how this particular showering method works.....not everybody is conceptually proficient and really need visuals to get a good understanding.....

You know.....inquiring minds want to know.....

Even Crimson agrees....."there's nothing like a good picture....."

Last edited:

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Pritti had his first full blown bathroom shower last summer while we were staying with family during vacation. He was in a vacation cage and didn't seem to want to bathe like he usually does most days via his big water bowl. So I took him on my shoulder (standing on top of a small towel) and slowly introduced him to the shower and made lots of happy noises while we both got wet. So now we do it whenever he goes too long without taking a bath on his own. At the start he seems to be annoyed, but once he gets sprinked a little, he seems to settle in and enjoy it and even try to lick at the water drops coming down - like drinking from a water fountain. It's pretty cute. He usually will flap his wings a couple of times and the water gets distributed more.

I keep the water a cooler than I do for my own shower. It lasts for about 5 minutes or less. Then he does his own thing... preening, etc.

After a shower:
wannabeaparrot-albums-pritti-being-pretty-random-photos-picture5342-fresh-daisy-after-shower-awwww.jpg

Last edited:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Awww how cute, at least Coco sits there quietly and does not retaliate.

Mishka loves to shower by himself, loves the attention.
I turn on the shower nozzle, make sure the water is like warm and he runs under the spraying water.
He loves the water trickling down his back. I ask him to lift his wings, then spray under each wing.
He then lifts his tail high into the air and says " lift your bum"
All in all it takes about 5 minutes.
He showers daily.

g0504.gif

OP
D

dulphinz

Apr 30, 2013
NH
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Coco
Female B&G- Tinker
Pritti is adorable :)

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
My perch doesn't stick to the tile so Oliver doesn't get a stream of water directly on him. I hold him under the water until he is completely soaked. He knows now to lift his wing when I tell him to lift it which helps in the bathing significantly. I think he enjoys it but he's not "playing" for sure. After I put him on his perch to dry and it is then that he starts talking up an storm and flapping his wings and preening.

I tried to submit a photo of him in the shower but I guess I'm over my quota...not sure what that means...

Most Reactions