Moving out of province with BCC

ebesq

Nov 30, 2014
Hi all!

I've had my black capped conure, Bertrand Russell, since January. He was born in September 2014. He's my best little buddy, and I'm definitely not going anywhere without him.

I'm very likely leaving my current city (St. John's, Newfoundland, on the far east of the east coast) and moving to Toronto at the end of this summer. My plan is to drive there with as much stuff as I can fit into my car, and ship a few things once I get there.

I'm trying to decide what method of travel would be less stressful for my little Bertie. The drive will take anywhere from 5 days to a week, because I'm planning on taking a friend and making a road trip out of it. My options are to take Bertie in a travel cage, or have him shipped up to me once I've arrived. I'm looking for opinions on what you all think would be the least stressful option for him.

Thanks in advance, guys! :rainbow1:

Da7zMCg.jpg

9aWqAGi.jpg

Last edited:

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
I've traveled with my birds up to 3 days journey and they all handle it fine. Lot of peeping and unhappiness and climbing around the travel cage at the beginning of each day. But once they are settled in after 15 minutes or so on the road there is no problem. Just take frequent breaks and share food & water. If in a secure rest stop, take him out for some destress time with you.

With my guys, I brought along towels and covered half the cages. It gave them a place that they could go if they felt overwhelmed by the experience and it gave them shelter from direct sunlight. Plus it blocked some vision so things like trucks going by would not give them a fright.

I would definitely be in favor of taking him with you rather than shipping. Strangers, airplanes, whatever. I can't imagine it being anything other than a terrifying experience for him. At least traveling with you, he can be grounded in your presence during the journey.

dragonlady2

Oct 3, 2010
Canada
Parrots
Eclectus-Willy, Alexandrine-Oliver, Two Barrabands -Joey and Peewee, Plumhead-Peanut, Senegal-Mookie, Australian King-Bella, Peachfront conure-Peachygirl, Crimson belly conure-Pepper, Parrotlette
I agree with James C...We moved from Ontario to Sakatchewan...took all 13 birds, 5 cats and two dogs in a caravan and drove. We spent nights in a hotel. Made sure that there was fresh food in the cages during the drive for hydration. The birds did great...my Ekkie was on the bottom of the pile and every now and again he would call out "hi". I made sure they had rope perches and gave them many treats during the day. I was happy to have them with me and I believe they were happier to be with us. Good luck...no matter what you decide.

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
Shipping would be tremendously stressful for a bird, IMHO. When they travel with you, they're with their mate, and they have the comfort of you being near to protect them. I've traveled with birds by boat, by car, etc. and, as long as you're near & they can see you, they're happy little campers.

Most Reactions