Moving, when should I clip?

Akraya

May 7, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
Parrots
Misha - Yellowsided GCC
Guapo - Cinnamon GCC
Nimbus - Alexandrine
Hi, so I'm moving in 3 weeks, my Dads being awesome and driving my car and birds down since I'm not good at long distance travel. I'll be clipping my birds wings before I move to avoid any accidents during travel and when they arrive at the new place. My only question is should I do it sooner rather than later or yeah, is a week before enough for them to adjust before a big move (8 hr drive at least) or should I do it now.
Anyone who's been in a similar situation, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
i would say to do it as soon as possible! that way the stress of being clipped and the stress of travel wont be all at once and it'll probably be a bit easier on them:)

OP
Akraya

Akraya

May 7, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
Parrots
Misha - Yellowsided GCC
Guapo - Cinnamon GCC
Nimbus - Alexandrine
Just had them clipped, the change in them is instant, sooo docile.
Now they're chewing up everything so that's the "its all good" sign! They haven't tried flying yet.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Good luck with the move! Just talk to them while in the cage or carrier, they'll be fine!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I've never clipped for a move, but then again, the times I have moved, I didn't move far...

The longest trip I've taken with a bird was when I adopted my mitred conure and traveled down to get him. Went by bus (don't recall how many hours that took!) then had a friend drive me back up (typically a 3-4 hr drive, but it can easily be 6-8 hrs or more with bad weather). I've clipped him once, but have allowed him to remain flighted since. Clipping didn't make a difference... He's been with me for 6 years now.

Guess that's not really helpful for your situation now is it? LOL :D

OP
Akraya

Akraya

May 7, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
Parrots
Misha - Yellowsided GCC
Guapo - Cinnamon GCC
Nimbus - Alexandrine
Still good to hear stories!
I wanted them clipped since it's a big move and I won't be travelling with them, plus I don't want them freaking out around new surroundings and people and injuring themselves. They were picking up speed as well and Misha flew hard into a flyscreen, so glad I didn't have the window closed!
They will be flighted again though =D

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
im glad they took the clip well! good luck on the move!:) let us know how they did!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If I wasn't traveling with my birds, I'd be concerned, too! Hope the move goes smoothly! Best of luck!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
why did you clip them? You could of just bought a travel cage. Remember clipping gives you a false sense of security, make sure there is no wind outside or you have them in a carrier.

OP
Akraya

Akraya

May 7, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
Parrots
Misha - Yellowsided GCC
Guapo - Cinnamon GCC
Nimbus - Alexandrine
I clipped them because they were picking up too much speed when flying and Misha flew into a window, well fly-screen. Also because I am moving and I don't want them to panic in the new house and fly into anything and injure themselves. They're still fluttering about with their wings clipped, it just seemed the best course of action at this time and I have thought about it for months =)

I am always cautious and they won't be going outside without a carrier until I know how they have adapted, which will a couple of months with the move and everything else, I've had one close call before and I'm not about to repeat that experience!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I clipped them because they were picking up too much speed when flying and Misha flew into a window, well fly-screen. Also because I am moving and I don't want them to panic in the new house and fly into anything and injure themselves. They're still fluttering about with their wings clipped, it just seemed the best course of action at this time and I have thought about it for months =)

I am always cautious and they won't be going outside without a carrier until I know how they have adapted, which will a couple of months with the move and everything else, I've had one close call before and I'm not about to repeat that experience!
How scary! Rosie is fully flighted but she knows to avoid windows and never hits mirrors. I can understand why you clipped them, I would to if they were doing that.

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
I think clipping was a good idea, plus considering if you aren't the one moving them and your dad is. I was so mad a few days ago, I had Petri out and my dad was in and out of the garage with the garage door open .....like really you cant communicate with me that you are doing things out there when I have my birds out? I've been debating clipping too because of how careless my family is but I am scared of the dogs if he flutters off the cage. It's such a toss up, they are only safe in my room with the door shut. The puppy is just 4 months old so she's like hell on wheels right now with getting into everything. So if they are out I need to just have them with me and not out in the family room on top of their cage until I move out because my family doesn't respect my pets. Petri is a small little guy too, green cheek size so I leave him flighted. Sigh. Have a safe move and all, I totally understand your concerns.

OP
Akraya

Akraya

May 7, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
Parrots
Misha - Yellowsided GCC
Guapo - Cinnamon GCC
Nimbus - Alexandrine
Lintini - my family is exactly the same with doors, it's how they lost their first cockatiel! Very frustrating stuff. I have two older dogs (12 and 9) as well but they were taught that going anywhere near my birds is not allowed, now I completely trust them so hopefully you can get there one day. :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts