LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Congratulations catastrophe and Grinchy-boy, what a handsome man you are!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I’m surprised it’s so exciting knowing for sure [emoji38] it’s the little things in life!

He definitely knew already. He knows he’s a handsome boy and uses it to his advantage [emoji41]

And it only took me twenty-five years to find out Amy is really AMOS :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Jim

OP
catastrophe

catastrophe

Dec 2, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
Loki - Sun conure; Lucifer, Goffin’s Cockatoo; Tink, Mustached Parakeet; Mr. Grinch, DYH Amazon
New update!

I’ve been swamped with life, so I haven’t had a chance to update here on Grinch’s progress. After what felt like forever, his disease testing all came back negative! He’s healthy! Woohoo!

He finally started coming out of his shell more during his out of of cage time. He moves from his cage top to the play top on Luci’s cage, but won’t venture to our bird tree yet. He is still great with taking treats from my hand, though I’ve been very careful about how I present the treat to avoid a repeat bloodletting [emoji38] He continues to lunge at everyone, but I’m sure it will take some time before he understands we aren’t like his previous homes.

I tried one time to let all of our birds out together for a bit (standing in front of everyone to intervene if necessary), and to my surprise, it was Loki (sun conure) who was instigating and trying to pick a fight with Grinch [emoji2358] It was like watching a chihuahua and a pit bull square off. Needless to say, we are back to splitting everyone’s time out.

b9bee382a1f1fffe1b57ca54f1799d49.jpg

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Thanks for the update, he looks great! After a rough start in life, some take longer than others to come around. Your time and patience are paying off, and you're allowing him to move at his pace, which is perfect! He'll get there. Keep up the great work!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not sure why, but DYH's tend to be slow at losing the Lunge response. Likely, it becomes a behavior. The clue is their eyes and crown. If those are signaling, provide a bit extra room. Also, DYH's tend to be slower at forgetting the past. That said, by continuing to work on trust building they do warm to everyone.

Our Julio went into Hormonal Season early this year, just in time for Christmas and has been slow to leave it behind i.e. much earlier and longer than normal. But, that could be the odd Winter we are having in Michigan this year.

We find that keeping a Journal is helpful as it helps in seeing just how far you have come.

DYH's tend to be somewhat forgiving to being accepting of a pushy smaller Parrot. BUT, as you may have seen, they have a fairly short fuse and especially during Hormonal Season. Loki, your sun conure could be seriously hurt as your guy fires-up during a chemical flow. Add, bad timing and you're in a mad rush to the Vet Clinic.

Continue to enjoy the opening-up, it is a true joy!

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
He's super cute-- hope it goes well!

I used to tie Noodles in for longer trips-- I used this chew-proof rope (that she never messes with anyway) and looped it around the back of the seat and around the front of the cage--Then I also usually put a box or something on the floor in front of the cage so that if she did fly forward, she wouldn't go far or fall down. When I had to drive with her in the front the first few times, I was worried about airbags.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I just love him and his huge blocky head!!

Poor little frost bitten toes. I'd put some perches on the outside top of cage and on sides. For hanging out on. I love using a ceiling hook and fishing line to hang a big spiral rope perch just over the cage.

Great updates!!! So glad you posted!

Most Reactions

Latest posts