Banned
Jan 26, 2014
Media
Hello all
Mulawa has starting talking a couple of words clearly. so far
"hello"
"come here"
"out"
She is muttering but we can't quite pick up what she is saying.

After Delfin and Mulawa had been given their breakfast. we put pellets and a small amount of seed mix in a bowl on their stands so they can feed whilst out of their cage. Today Delfin did something this morning that he had never done before. He flew to his stand and tapped on the bowl twice and said "come on" At first I wasn't sure, but he repeated it two more times. Delfin was telling me "HEY THIS BOWL NEEDS TO HAVE FOOD IN IT NOW". It seems that we have to be patient with our birds but our birds don't need to be patient with us. Delfin was basically telling me to shift myself into top gear. :cool:

These are the times when the things Delfin will do, reinforces my belief that Parrots are a lot smarter than most people give them credit for.:D

Delfin knows each family member by name and this includes the cats and dog and knows the meaning of
step up.
step down.
come.
back to.
Off there.
out.
no.
wing ( this one I use for inspecting under each wing )
wings up.
shake.
turn around.
pick up, in the bin.
of course this didn't just happen, it's the result of interactions of bonding and trust building for the last 16 months.

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
That's so cool!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
LOL! Delfin's no slouch! You make sure you toe the line, mister, or he'll sort you out PB quick! 'Come on!' LOLOLOL! Go Delfin!

Happy Straya Day to all the Aussies in the group. I'm on a one-woman mission to stop people from saying 'Australeea' instead of 'Austrail-ya'. ;)

DoodlesMom

Nov 25, 2014
Phoenix,Arizona
Parrots
GCC >Doodle
Way to go Mulawa!! Thats so awesome. Thats pretty quick achievement, seems it was a few weeks ago when you brought her home!

Defins impatience has me laughing my behind off! Like I've been told, WE go at THEIR pace.....and patience is NOT on their agenda ....so get cracking on that food quicker, human! LOL!! ;)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Thanks for the giggle! Mulawa is a very clever bird, impatient maybe, but very clever. I love that Delfin knows the pets by name. Fantastic progress for sixteen months.

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Mulawa is really making progress!
And that Delfin...smart as a whip:) Did you hurry and fill the bowl?

OP
D

Delfin

Banned
Banned
Jan 26, 2014
Media
Hello Allee
Delfin is the one who know the family and pets by name, but Mulawa is proving to be a quick learner

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Does Delfin call the pets by any chance? My quaker calls the dogs by name now, she usually throws food at them when they show up, but she gets their names right.

OP
D

Delfin

Banned
Banned
Jan 26, 2014
Media
No I didn't hurry to fill the bowls. Delfin needs to learn patience also. :54:

Mulawa is picking up so much from Delfin. He's the reason why she's talking so quickly. :D

OP
D

Delfin

Banned
Banned
Jan 26, 2014
Media
Yes Delfin will call the cats and dog but he doesn't throw food at them. A couple of times Delfin has chased off the cats and eaten their food.

Most Reactions