Mutant Parakeet?

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
Check this vid out. I found it on youtube: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFMXrBWswl0]YouTube - Really Weird-Looking Bird[/ame]
That is soooo cute :D, but it's sad because 1:It was abandoned when it was young, and 2:The poor thing probably can't fly and has poor mobility :(

OP
apatrimo94

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
Yeah, also he's probably can't fly and get around a cage like a normal parakeet, poor thing. At least it's getting a chance at life.

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
I found the same thing one day, and was fascinated. Pretty strange...

I wonder if his owner has to clip his crest every now and then, just to allow him to see. I know that people will do that for Polish chickens.

OP
apatrimo94

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
The good thing though is this is not an available mutation because that much feathers can cause problems, such as flying, mobility, preening, etc, and if an inexperienced person has one, it's a recipe for disaster for the poor little bird.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Actually this is a genetic mutation. These little budgies have very sad short lives. They cannot fly, have difficulty walking, eating and seeing. They live only about 4-5 months.

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
Yes... on my budgie forum we've had one or two pop up. It is a horrible genetic disorder. Their lives are usually measured in months. Even with good care they live for about 4-5 months. It really becomes apparant at about 6 weeks and they usually die shortly after. You cannot cut the feathers of the head as they are always growing and have blood feathers among the grown ones. I'd hate to have one as they would recquire hand feeding and wouldn't live very long.

Birdamor

Banned
Banned
Jun 14, 2010
Poor thing! But I don't see why the woman cannot trim some of those feathers. Because even if they are always growing and there are blood feather mixed in, all you have to do is just trim one feather at a time. He would be much more comfortable if she did.

Most Reactions