26 year old quaker nose infection

Cryllc82

Jul 2, 2023
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Hi there, my quaker Sunny is 26 years old and has lived with me for 15 of those years. He is geriatric but is a hale and happy bird. Except for this last month. One of his nostrils has been infected and I have had him on Baytril for 10 days and now Doxycycline for about 5. His nose was drying up but is looking wet and runny again today. Any advice would be appreciated.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Well of course your Certified AVIAN Vet should be consulted. Because this infection is coming back, I worry that the previous courses of antibiotics just killed off the weaker bacteria, and the ones still living are the strong variant. THere are other bird friendly meds out there, so really check w/your CAV.

OP
C

Cryllc82

Jul 2, 2023
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Well of course your Certified AVIAN Vet should be consulted. Because this infection is coming back, I worry that the previous courses of antibiotics just killed off the weaker bacteria, and the ones still living are the strong variant. THere are other bird friendly meds out there, so really check w/your CAV.
Thank you but I live in rural WV where there are no CAVs. I'll keep researching what I can possibly do.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
I read your other post and it seems there isn't really a suitable vet nearby. It's a shame they're not more widespread. Is he on any probiotics? I think they can help birds with infections, of course it's not a cure but I have seen it can help.

RingneckRave

Aug 16, 2023
NSW, Australia
Parrots
Bluey - Indian ringneck
Sunny - Indian ringneck

Conny - Sun Conure (my sister's bird)
Soon to own a second sun conure
Hi there, my quaker Sunny is 26 years old and has lived with me for 15 of those years. He is geriatric but is a hale and happy bird. Except for this last month. One of his nostrils has been infected and I have had him on Baytril for 10 days and now Doxycycline for about 5. His nose was drying up but is looking wet and runny again today. Any advice would be appreciated.
Maybe give a regular vet a try? May not be as ideal but IMO it's better than nothing

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I second the probiotics. Is it possible the new wetness around his nose is due to some sort of irritation or allergy rather than a recurrence of infection? I also live in a rural area so I understand the struggle to find an avian vet. I have had a local vet who was willing to prescribe antibiotics for some of my chickens who got mycoplasmosis even though he doesn’t technically see chickens. He just asked a lot of questions about their symptoms and prescribed a certain antibiotic without needing me to actually bring in a chicken for him to examine. As another poster said, it wouldn’t hurt to ask! In addition to the probiotics, things like vitamin C and bee pollen are good for boosting the immune system. Air purifiers are also great for reducing respiratory issues. Best of luck with your bird; 26 years is really good! ❤️

OP
C

Cryllc82

Jul 2, 2023
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Thank you all! I've been doing probiotics sprinkled on wet foods like a piece of lettuce. I will get the other things too and call a local vet or more. I really appreciate it 💚

Most Reactions