Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Ahmad
I have worked in your world and know how hard it is to get around and get specialized services. That said I also know that improvisation is a well used skill. I think it is called for in your difficult situation. You are trying to help this bird but working without many resources we are lucky enough to consider normal. We are trying to give you the best advice we can but a well meaning bunch of forum bird owners are not a substitute for a vet....nearly any vet. If you can reach the best available ...not necessarily the chicken vet...but rather someone who speaks English and can consult with colleagues and databases and websites only available to veterinary professionals,and tell him you know He will be working outside his area of expertise. Tell him you will not be angry if He cannot save the bird but that you are desperate for any kind of diagnostic and care assistance. In meantime follow advice given here...keep him warm with immediately available food that you have been told he was okay with. No human meds ...no toys introduced for now just food, warmth, quiet. AND ACCESS TO A VET. EVEN IF NOT AVIAN SPE******T.

OP
A

ahmad

Sep 5, 2010
thanks every one for your time replying to me, you really cant imagine how hard to find a vet. here, most of them work for farms that raise sheep or horses or even camels, i never knew its hard to find a vet for your bet here until now..

well, what i didnt since yesterday listening to advices.. cover 3 sides of his cage, put pure clean water, mix of the seeds he used to love before i mess things out... close the window, turn of the light, keep it almost dark but from little light coming from outside his room's door.. and leave him untouched without noise without peeking..

i came back from work today, went to his room, he opened his eyes and made knocking sounds.. knock knock knock.. then i offered him peanuts and sunflowers seeds from my hand.. and he ate it.. then i hold his water pot close to him and he drank a lot of water.. then moved a little on his stick.. offered him more seeds and he ate until he closed his eyes again meaning he wanna go back to sleep.. so i left him and went out...

i just got back from my night job now.. i did the same.. and he acted almost the same.. but he moved more on his stick after he drank water.. and tried to climb the cage but he couldnt.. offered him more seeds, he toke until he closed his eyes again.. so i left him and came back to my bed :)

i hope this is a good news.. what do you think guys??

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Hopeful signs but still try to involve vet even if connection is via cell phone only.

OP
A

ahmad

Sep 5, 2010
good morning every one, (at least its morning here now) :)
i just went to check on my parrot, he seems better than yesterday, had both eyes opened, moved little more than yesterday, toke more seeds from my hands, drank water again like he did yesterday.. he even tried to climb the cage and jump out from his opened door.. but he was too weak.. he couldnt.. after he ate and drank enough.. he went to a different place on his stick.. and slept again...
so i left him as he was with his cage covered and went out the room...

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
It is important that your bird not be kept in the dark. Only cover 2 sides and back of cage, leave the front open. Place a light near his cage for warmth. Make sure you are leaving his bowl full of food.

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
and non FIDS:
Ahmad, is there no chance at all of getting him to a vet???

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Ahmad, how is the bird doing today. Last he was being more active, and eating.
Any more changes, and have you managed to contact anyone who is able to assist you?

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
This bird could have been sick before you got him. The additional stress of a new home could have tipped him over the edge. Do not blame yourself for the new foods making him sick. Parrots do not do well with all seeds and nuts. The other foods can be introduced slowly after he is feeling better. Just follow the advice of the good people here and try try to see a doc for the bird.

Quantumcat

Feb 21, 2010
Media
Bathurst, NSW
Parrots
One Eclectus, Scarlett
Avian vets will receive bird droppings by post and analyse them for you. Most sicknesses can be diagnosed via droppings. If you do find an avian vet, even in another country, talk to them and see if you can send them some droppings. They'll give you instructions on how to package them. If that doesn't turn up anything, maybe you can get the chicken vet to take a blood sample and have that be sent to them.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Ahmad, I might sound rude or cruel but if it was my bird then I would have loaded him in the car and gone to the chicken vet a long time ago. Firstly he cant be a chicken vet ONLY - there is no such thing. Then from him I would go to the next and the next until I find the reason why my bird is sick.

Nobody on this forum or any other forum will be able to make your bird healthy and it is in your hands only. Only action will safe your bird.:(

OP
A

ahmad

Sep 5, 2010
Dear everyone.. sorry for late replies, but i've been really busy with parrot... today im supposed to get two doctors phone numbers and ill call them and see how can they take a look at it or maybe advice via phone...

he stopped the vomitting long time ago, and the runny waste... his waste is now more solid... he eat a little, so he got really weak.. so, since yesterday night, i started feeding him babies food that they take before they can eat solid food, its made of Semolina, no milk involved...

Materna Semolina Cereal.

he seems to love it.. i fed him with spoon.. he recognized the spoon and came running to it... maybe his previous breeder used to feed him this way...
this morning i gave him more and he almost ate the whole plate, and its already obvious he is gaining his health back

will keep u posted about Jacko's situation and what would the doctors say..

Thanks every body.. each word you send might save Jacko's life :)

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
and non FIDS:
Excellent Ahmad!
All very hopeful signs and a clever idea. By all means if you can raise a vet even by phone that would be helpful. I checked to see if a guy who used to do a project with Bedouins was still in Palestine but sadly he is not. Didn't actually reach him but talked to a colleague on that team...also a large animal vet who said he didn't think there was an avian vet in country. He thought there were several in Israel. I could follow up on that if you have travel privilege but doubt they would let you take jacko across border even if you have visa. Your situation is extremely tough and I fear telephone or web based consult is best you are going to be able to pull off given lack of qualified local help and travel issues for self and sick bird...especially with new SARS restrictions. Let me know if you want me to try to get number of vet in Haifa.

OP
A

ahmad

Sep 5, 2010
wow Barbara!!! it seems you know how things really goes here, all you said is 100 correct, i couldnt find any avian vet, i still didnt get the doctors phone numbers to call today, i was promised today id get them.. and theres no way i can get Jacko to Israel.. its sooooo difficult almost impossible.. i dont have a permit to cross the checkpoints-borders.. and even if i do.. then wont let a bird pass through.. even though it originally came from Israel..

The idea about feeding him babies cereal came from another nice lady from another forum called Kathy, she really contact me by email the whole day long asking how jaco have been.. and she suggested to do this when Jacko couldnt move... her tips along with every one was really helpful and encouraging.. i know i am not out of danger zone yet.. but i really i am going to loose him few days ago....

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I still feed the mushy foods like oatmeal and baby food mixed in cornbread. You have to watch the iron levesl though because it can promote fatty liver disease. Here's to Jacko to get well.
6.gif

Last edited:

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
and non FIDS:
I think we should consider starting a new thread to get you some different kind of help. Let me ask the administrators something and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Ahmad where does the parrot come from, I know you said a petshop, but where did they get the birds? I am asking because it is just strange to me that they will sell something when there is absolutely no care available for them. I find it very sad. :(

OP
A

ahmad

Sep 5, 2010
i asked the guy at the shop where it came from, he said he bought it from couples after they were about to have a baby... this is all the info i could get

Most Reactions