Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Ahmad, how is the bird doing today, I pray there is an improvement.
Wildheart's idea is brilliant, give us the information we require, we will contact avian vets here in South Africa, and try to assist you.
Another option, you are on the internet, is it possible for you to contact an avian vet on line. I know they charge, but what other alternatives are there. You speaking to the vet directly can explain exactly what the birds symptoms are.
Even for an avian vet, on line, to try diagnose what the illness is, is going to be extremely difficult.
I pray the birds recovers quickly.;)

Last edited:

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Here's an agency that may be able to help - are any of these locations nearby?
ANERA Contact - Jerusalem, Nablus, Ramallah, Hebron, Gaza, Lebanon, Jordan

They are not veterinarians, but they have many medical practitioners and all the necessary laboratory and diagnostic tools. I'm sure they could consult with avian veterinarians and provide whatever care was needed.

They may see such a request as a bit odd but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Especially, if you are able to donate to support their other efforts I imagine they would be happy to take some time to help your bird.

RaeBeas

Sep 9, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Parrots
Pete- Cockatiel*
Chipper- Budgie*
Phillip- Zebra Finch*
Kayla- TAG
I hope your bird has improved. It is possible that it may have had a case of Avian Influenza (Bird Flu). I say this, because the symptoms you describe are involved with it, and it is possible for the bird to have recovered after the flu had taken it's course.

Of course the symptoms mentioned are involved with countless diseases and issues, so without a vet seeing the bird, it is impossible to know for sure. I realize you do not have easy access to an Avian Vet, but you may be able to find a small animal (dogs and cats) Vet that can help you. I work for a small animal vet, and although none of our Veterinarians are Avian Vets, they have some knowledge of birds, as well as easy access to materials.

I hope all goes well with you two!

wicked demon

Jul 22, 2010
+1 on too big of a change too quickly, the dietary change in conjunction with a new home is likely the issue, give the bird the food he came eating and slowly re-introduce the proper diet, the seeds will not hurt the bird, they are just not very nutritional, kinda like ramen noodles, keep looking for the vet, and good luck!!!

OP
A

ahmad

Sep 5, 2010
hello again every one, my parrot didnt improve even after he started having the babies food, he stayed week.. i called vet in israel, she cant help over the phone, she asked to send her the parrot, and theres no way i can send him to her...
yesterday night he stopped eating, refused every thing, and got so weak, he cant even stand now, he is refusing every thing, food, water, seeds... i think its a matter of hours now..
:(

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
I have been following this thread and I am so sorry for your circumstances :(. The vet in Israel couldn't give ANY advice at all on what to do with a sick bird? All I can advise is keep offering food, water and warmth. Don't give up hope.

caryn

Sep 11, 2010
I am sorry Ahmad. Love your bird for every moment you have him. God is kind and perhaps there will be a miracle.

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Oh Ahmad,
I am so sorry for you and this poor bird. You have tried so hard. Keep the cage warm especially at night and keep food nearby and easy to reach. Don't blame yourself for this....you have tried hard under very difficult circumstances. God be with you.

SharonC

May 26, 2010
I am sorry for what you and your bird are going through. You've done what you could do...keep trying....

Vivica

Sep 7, 2010
Philadelphia PA
Parrots
1 15 year old Golden Capped Conure Named Wrnts
i'm sorry to hear about your parrot. It's very unfortunate that there are no avian vets in the area. I wish I could just pick your bird up and take it to the vet myself. But you're in a tough area, and you're doing the best you can do. I hope there is some greater power on your side.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Be proud of yourself, for what you are doing for the sick bird. You have done every thing possible, in your difficult circumstances.
God will bless you for never giving up, and giving the bird great comfort.
We are all here for you

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
You have done more for this little guy than you know. If his last flight must be taken we will let him go in peace. Just know that all of us on the forum have a great deal of respect for you caring for the bird. He will be remembered by all of us. What was the name you gave this bird?

Last edited:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Ahmad you have been on my mind so much lately.
Please let us know if there was an improvement with the bird.
If the bird did not make it, remember you did everything possible.
Please let us know.
In my prayers

Most Reactions