My African gray parrot. it is male or female

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
I'm going to guess it's a female, as they have smaller heads than the males do.

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
Well, I will say male (can't really tell from the pic) in one pic they look grey then another they look brown...

Male= Grey eyes
Female= Brown eyes

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Well, I will say male (can't really tell from the pic) in one pic they look grey then another they look brown...

Male= Grey eyes
Female= Brown eyes

I'm not sure that's always true. My hen started out with black, then lightened to grey and finally yellow.

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Birdbrained Wife!
It is not 100% but for the most part it is accurate for an adult grey. The eyes of a younger one are definitely not an accurate measure because they often start dark and change as they mature.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Did you mean the center of the eye? The adult greys I've met have light yellow eyes.

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
Go for DNA test, otherwise you'll never be sure.

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
Or wait for an egg to drop out of her! Lol

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Birdbrained Wife!
Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Did you mean the center of the eye? The adult greys I've met have light yellow eyes.

Now you have me doubting myself. At this point, all I am sure of is my 14 yr old Male CAG has ice grey eyes. lol

I was pretty sure it was a indicator of sex but now not so sure...

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013

Now you have me doubting myself. At this point, all I am sure of is my 14 yr old Male CAG has ice grey eyes. lol

I was pretty sure it was a indicator of sex but now not so sure...

You could very well be right. We only had the two and as adults they both had yellow eyes. Maybe it has to do with region.

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
I can usually guess what the sex of a cag is. I say guess because you are never sure unless you have a dna test. I find it much easier to do it in person. By the pictures I would say female. Smallish head not large and blocky. It is also a lighter color, the males are usually darker. That is my guess but again not in any way anything other than a guess.

OP
lebachu

lebachu

Dec 4, 2013
Parrots
grey - name Sol
thank all . My moon is 5 months old.vietnam isn't services.need some advice .
Vision Greys TIPS sex determination. some characteristics

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
My breeder, who is the senior bird keeper at the San Diego Zoo, said the same thing as Brianlinkles: lighter color grey, and smaller head is a female. The color of the eyes isn't a reliable indicator for sexing Greys.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
What color feathers around the vent?

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Look at the link that Megapixel posted and make your own best guess. In person we'd be able to make a fair guess, but there's no real way with pics.

Most Reactions