My Amazon 'hates' my boyfriend.

Keiayra

Feb 3, 2012
Alright. So let me brief you on this situation.

My boyfriend has had birds for his whole life.

He's always had such a nature 'way' with birds that his godmom got him Willie.
The Yellow-Crowned Amazon.

The first day they got them Ken spent a lot of time with him. Willie was about 3 years old. Willie was really relaxed and cool. The next day that completely changed.

So, his brother Jose was the only one in his household that could cuddle and kiss with Willie. Everyone else would lightly handle him. Yet he's always had a 'vendetta' to lashing out at my boyfriend.

When my boyfriend moved in with me, it became a package deal. I didnt mind, I was excited! He allows me, my Mom, and my best friend to pet his head. Responds to the things we teach him. He is like this with male friends, but everything once in a while he'll slowly reach out his beak to 'bite.'

Yet, the random lashing out continues with my boyfriend. Like, its quick. If my boyfriend sits by his cage, Willie will move such to seem to try to sink his beak into my boyfriend.

My boyfriend has a Chris Angel like vibe, he wears a lot of rings. So we made him take them off. He also wears a lot of black... So I put him in purple.

I've been reading books, about biting.. reading articles and stuff.

Its only with him. Its like he purposely doesnt like my boyfriend. Never did.

Im working with Willie all the time, building trust.

He seems to have quite the attachment to me and my Mom.
We leave the room when he lashes out. Trying to correct the behavior.

Willie has never been the bird to walk up onto someone's arms. So Im trying to build that trust and be actually able to handle him, besides petting his head.

He's about 6 years old.

I just want him to feel relaxed around my boyfriend. Have a happy home.

Thankyou! :green:

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
I'm a new parrot owner myself, but I've been volunteering with a local rescue for a few months and reading everything on Amazons I can find.

Birds are like people, they like who they like and don't like who they don't like. Your boyfriend could remind Willie of someone that once scared him or he could just flat out not like him because he just doesn't like him.

Willie is also getting (if he's not already there) really close to reaching sexual maturity and they tend to get kind of touchy and moody when that happens. It lasts a couple of years I believe. I was thankful Kazi was past that when I adopted him :)

I don't know if either one of those explains the issues you guys are having, but I can sympathize. Kazi hates my husband too. But I know why, it's because Kazi thinks I'm his woman and my husband needs to back off. So to combat this and show Kazi that DH isn't going to steal me away we're having DH adopt a very submissive posture around Kazi. No eye contact, bowed head. DH also is the only one who gives Kazi his favorite treat. It seems to be helping, but we'll see.

OP
K

Keiayra

Feb 3, 2012
I'm a new parrot owner myself, but I've been volunteering with a local rescue for a few months and reading everything on Amazons I can find.

Birds are like people, they like who they like and don't like who they don't like. Your boyfriend could remind Willie of someone that once scared him or he could just flat out not like him because he just doesn't like him.

Willie is also getting (if he's not already there) really close to reaching sexual maturity and they tend to get kind of touchy and moody when that happens. It lasts a couple of years I believe. I was thankful Kazi was past that when I adopted him :)

I don't know if either one of those explains the issues you guys are having, but I can sympathize. Kazi hates my husband too. But I know why, it's because Kazi thinks I'm his woman and my husband needs to back off. So to combat this and show Kazi that DH isn't going to steal me away we're having DH adopt a very submissive posture around Kazi. No eye contact, bowed head. DH also is the only one who gives Kazi his favorite treat. It seems to be helping, but we'll see.

Im going to have to try the treat thing. Thankyou.
Its just puzzling that its just him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts