My baby Catlina Macaw is 3 months how much should he weigh?

jojo65

Oct 10, 2013
Texas
Parrots
My Macaw died of old age and am looking for a bird. I want to have a smaller one maybe Alexandrine
I don't have the Baby yet it is still with the breeder/ will be until I comfy with what I know and am doing. I have read so much and know so little to know what to do. I have never taken care or owned a bird. I am in for a supprise I know! I am now the owner of a 3 month old Catalina Macaw. Does anyone know where I should began to do everything possible to have a healthy, happy, well behaved bird? Health is my priority first. How much should he weigh?

JerseyWendy you will be proud of me. I am not taking the baby I have decided on an eight yo. the people are moving in to an apartment and can't have their bird and were so stressed to find a new home. I pick it up tomorrow. I just told the breeder the baby was too young and I wasn't ready and it wasn't fair to the baby

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Did you get an unweaned baby?!

Has no one taught you how to hand feed this baby?!

If so, you need to stop right now, and find yourself an experienced hand feeder.

This is not something you can learn in two minutes or less over the internet, and there are about 1000 ways to accidentally kill a baby macaw.

The number one of which is getting the formula too hot, and the baby dies of a burned crop. Check it in multiple spots, because sometimes there are hot spots.

Too cold, and the baby either won't eat it, or spits it up and can asphyxiate...

Over fill the crop and the same thing happens. Under fill it and the baby dies of starvation...

Not to mention all the infections baby birds are prone to, and defenseless against.

Inexperienced hand feeders are the number one killers of captive bred baby birds.

There is a reason California, and other states, have passed a law requiring only certified hand feeders can do this...
(In California, someone who doesn't know what they are doing attempting to hand feed a baby is considered cruelty to animals. It is THAT difficult!)

Seriously, if you don't know, you are in over your head, and chances are greater than not that you will kill this bird!

But then I'm biased on this issue. I had three baby macaws die in agony on my lap (burned crop) awhile back, because the person hand feeding them "just didn't know."

I don't mean to be preachy, but I have seen too much of this... The odds of an unweaned baby surviving an inexperienced hand feeder are LESS THAN 50/50. As in over half of them die needlessly!!!

I'm getting off my soapbox now.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
And having done it myself. I can tell you that baby macs are the hardest of the bunch to wean...

OP
J

jojo65

Oct 10, 2013
Texas
Parrots
My Macaw died of old age and am looking for a bird. I want to have a smaller one maybe Alexandrine
No I don't have the baby it is still with it's breeder. I am wanting to learn everything before it comes to my home. The breeder is helpful but I want to know more and more so I will have a healthy happy home with this little guy.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
IF possible, visit your baby as much as possible. That way when it's time for baby Catalina to come home, he/she already knows you, and the transition into your home will be much easier. :)

If you can't visit, due to distance, that doesn't mean your baby won't bond to you, so please don't worry about that.

Read up on big macs as much as you possibly can, and never be afraid to ask questions, we're all here to help.

This will be a GREAT adventure, no doubt in my mind. :D

You can get his/her cage ready if you already have one, start stocking up on toys, read about nutrition and diet, and I'm sure you'll be counting down the days until baby Cat is home.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I cannot even begin to tell you how relieved I am to hear that!

Macaws are wonderful birds... you will love it.

OP
J

jojo65

Oct 10, 2013
Texas
Parrots
I can't visit it's a distance thang.. I just am watching progress and making sure it is at the right weight and etc. I have ordered a large corner cage. Made a really nice travel carried from a laundry pop-up. Just don't won't to bring it home and kill the little guy.
I am also getting rid of plants candles etc. Just need all the suggestions out there I can get will not be offended by any comments as I am stupid to this and will take advice.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Please understand, we get a lot of people who get unweaned baby birds, and then come on the board when there is a problem...

"Too late, the bird is dead!"

It's nothing personal, it's just happened too much...

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
No, No...you are NOT stupid to this. You will learn as you go along, believe me. :)

Do you have any places nearby where you can visit big Macaws and interact with them? That way you won't feel so intimidated when your baby arrives. :)

OP
J

jojo65

Oct 10, 2013
Texas
Parrots
I will call around at the pet stores and find out. Thanks. I looked for classes on-line just rip-offs is all I could find.

OP
J

jojo65

Oct 10, 2013
Texas
Parrots
Birdman I don't won't to be one of these people who have all these problems so I have decided to take an 8 yo. the people who raised him are moving in an apartment and can't have him. They told me this boy has never given them any problems and is a good funny boy. For my first Macaw I think it would be best then a baby for me. It is a blue and gold. I still have alot to learn. You guys helped me open my eyes on what I really should do.

Most Reactions