My babies!

Mdanckers

Oct 29, 2023
Parrots
2 conures
Hello everyone, this is the second day of having my babies and let me just say… I am in love. Their cage is right next to me, and per instructions received when I got them, I take them out for 30 min and let them rest on me while working and then put them back in the cage for 2-3 hours . I lay on the floor andn let them walk all over me. I thought I had names for them but their personalities are making me constantly change my mind. I don’t know if they are male or female but the one closest to me is the sweetest. They only bite my fingers but not hard enough to really hurt hahahahahahha. I feel already a great connection with both of them, they love to snuggle on my neck and allow me to kiss them. So far, they are cleaning each other and are constantly side by side which makes very happy and relieved. I will appreciate all the new bird owner advice I could get. What are the signs of aggression I should look for in case things turn around?how do I know if they are getting sick ?how do I know when they are stressed out? So far they are eating their pellets and seeds, apple pieces and drinking water. Should I offer them a bath already? Sorry for the million questions but I want to make sure all their basic needs are covered and more. I have also attached a picture of the cage and toys. Do you suggest taking some of the toys out? Thank you!!View attachment 55670View attachment 55671View attachment 55669
3BBC92B0-FBF6-4F3F-A698-4A6DB4463384.jpeg
IMG_2372.jpeg
IMG_2371.jpeg

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Yuko [M] - Yellow headed Budgie. [Healthy, Tame.]
Snowii [F] - BV dilute opaline lovebird. [Healthy, hand-raised.]
Luna [F] - Indigo budgie. [RIP,.]
oh my god! Those feathered babies are so CUTE! they are so lucky to have been adopted by you~!
the toys look great other than the fact that there's a metal/steel bell. I don't really recommend putting belled-toys due to a past experience with a sun conure who had got her tongue stuck and had it bleeding. This is not as common but.. just raising awareness so that these beautiful babies dont get injured :)

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Congratulations!! They are both so adorable! It’s just so exciting bringing them home isn’t it? It sounds like you’re off to a great start with them.

I personally would work on converting them to a diet that consists of chop and high quality pellets. Lots of resources here on the food and diet forum:

You can offer them a bath anytime just don’t force it on them. My GCC likes to bathe perched on my finger under a small trickle of water from the sink. You can just hold them near the water and if they’re interested they’ll move closer and start bathing.

Parrots are good at hiding when they are sick, but usually if they’re sitting at the bottom of the cage or sitting puffed up all day it could be a sign of illness. It’s a good idea to establish a relationship with an avian vet now if you haven’t already. An initial baby checkup is always a good idea.

You will learn to read your bird’s body language with time and experience to recognize aggression or stress. This video is really nice:

Also note that gentle nibbling on your fingers is completely normal and there is a big difference between a “bite” and being mouthy. Green cheeks do like to explore and learn with their beaks and they like to preen you too. You’ll know if they bite because it will be completely different body language and it will hurt.

Enjoy your little ones!!

OP
Mdanckers

Mdanckers

Oct 29, 2023
Parrots
2 conures
oh my god! Those feathered babies are so CUTE! they are so lucky to have been adopted by you~!
the toys look great other than the fact that there's a metal/steel bell. I don't really recommend putting belled-toys due to a past experience with a sun conure who had got her tongue stuck and had it bleeding. This is not as common but.. just raising awareness so that these beautiful babies dont get injured :)
Thank you!! They are so curious that it wouldn’t surprise me if they get in that kind of trouble. I will make the change just to avoid any injuries.

OP
Mdanckers

Mdanckers

Oct 29, 2023
Parrots
2 conures
Congratulations!! They are both so adorable! It’s just so exciting bringing them home isn’t it? It sounds like you’re off to a great start with them.

I personally would work on converting them to a diet that consists of chop and high quality pellets. Lots of resources here on the food and diet forum:

You can offer them a bath anytime just don’t force it on them. My GCC likes to bathe perched on my finger under a small trickle of water from the sink. You can just hold them near the water and if they’re interested they’ll move closer and start bathing.

Parrots are good at hiding when they are sick, but usually if they’re sitting at the bottom of the cage or sitting puffed up all day it could be a sign of illness. It’s a good idea to establish a relationship with an avian vet now if you haven’t already. An initial baby checkup is always a good idea.

You will learn to read your bird’s body language with time and experience to recognize aggression or stress. This video is really nice:

Also note that gentle nibbling on your fingers is completely normal and there is a big difference between a “bite” and being mouthy. Green cheeks do like to explore and learn with their beaks and they like to preen you too. You’ll know if they bite because it will be completely different body language and it will hurt.

Enjoy your little ones!!
Thank you! This is very helpful

Most Reactions

Latest posts