My Baby!

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
One of these little chickens is my baby :)

I am not getting much info from this breeder, which is a little disappointing and difficult to stomach lol But she is pregnant so she probably has a lot going on. I just hope I am going to be getting a well rounded baby in the end! *fingers crossed*

480302_381009411975502_1930334040_n.jpg

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Aw how cute. How do you decide between the two:D

jlockhart29

Oct 27, 2011
Congratulations! Please don't let me rain on your parade but just want to say a few words. I had Jake my Nanday conure for twenty five years. He died almost three years ago. He would scream on occasion but was pretty quite. Happy as a clam on his perch or our shoulder watching the world go by.
In August we got Aerial the Bare Eyed. I LOVE her BUT she is not a conure!! She is kept in Avian Adventure Grand play top 30x42x70 cage where at least twice a week all four of her perches are rearranged, her toys are as well and every day she gets a shreadable toy new or changed. She is NEVER acknowledged for screaming. NEVER. She is let out with us several times a day or evening at no set time for sometimes five minutes or some times thirty minutes or more. She never knows. She is flighted and I have completely quit worrying about her position on me. She may be on my shoulder one second and the next hanging from the back of my knee. 10 seconds later upside down off my wrist while I'm making an expresso. Sounds fun doesn't it?! It is......kind of but it can be a pain. She HAS to check out anything and everything you do. Eat or drink everything you do. Put her on a stand so you can get alittle break. Forget it. She will be back on you before you turn around or on the counter.
Walk threw the living room and don't let her out she will scream. Not long but she will let you known she's not happy! Bed time just like a little kid fighting her sleep. Screams several minutes after lights out. Never be able to change this and why would I? She's a Too. All this is what a Too does. If I didn't want her to be like that I wouldn't have got a Too.
Go into this well informed and be able to adapt. Make SURE this is what you want for next 50couple years and you will be fine. Good luck.

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
I agree with jlockhart29, Toos are LOUD and want to be on you every second ! I made my son research and visit with Toos for 3-4 years after he decided he wanted one so he would make an informed decision. Last Saturday I gave him his Christmas gift early as you cannot hide a Too ! She is a sweet cuddle monster and is hanging on someone all waking hours. jlockhart29 is correct in that they will hang from all your body parts at any given time, which just cracks my son up, he loves it. She only seems to scream when the sun goes down though. If he puts her on her cage during the day, she will scream for a minute but he is great at not going back in till she is quiet, but at dark she will scream for 10 minutes straight then quiet for 10-20 then scream again. He has began putting her to bed at 8 and covering her and we dont hear another peep. So please be as informed as my son about how much attention Too's want.

OP
Thingamagigs

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
LOL Thanks for the advice guys but I have owned a Galah previously. :) As I have said many times :p
Not only that... I am in Australia, surrounded by cockatoos... long billed corellas, short bill corellas, black cockatoos and galahs. I am rather familiar with their call and their needs. :)

You make it sound like you regret getting her jlockhart29? Your comments were phrased in a negative way asthough its a burden?

I found a galah fit very well into my life style... he "helped" me work throughout the house and was more than happy to join in pretty much any activity we were involved in... I never found any of it a burden the only negative experience is when they decide your shoulder is a good place to scream!! LOL

I have an entire tree of paperbark branches stacked in my patio (literally, we live across the road from a paperbark forest and some trees have fallen recently in the high winds) ready to replace natural perches as they are destroyed... a box full of egg cartons, old books and other cardboard/paper items to destroy... a bulk seed sprouting system... a giant cage... a computer desk I turned into a play gym... an enclosed patio for some outside time complete with birdy grass trays, hanging rope and dowel ladders, whole paperbark branches as perches/stands and soon to have a solar powered fountain. Aside from that I work from home and have previously raised a well rounded 'too :) Perhaps it is just second nature to me, but the previous 'toos I have dealt with have been a breeze... they really are a joy to own. Everyone has their different ideas of the perfect bird though... some prefer a laid back bird who is not demanding and is happy to hang out on a play gym or in their cage. Those people will always find a cockatoo irritating.
I like a bird overflowing with personality ;)

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
How adorable!!! I love corella's they have cutest soft voice!!!

OP
Thingamagigs

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Have you seen this cheeky little bird? The guy is an absolute nutter, he wears wigs and false teeth and all kinds of odd things on the videos. Harold is a cheeky, naughty little bird! But he absolutely loves life and his people adore him. I cringe when they allow him to bite though LOL and they do hype him up something terrible. I love how he laughs at the car driving past.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pisrT_qfZgg]Harold the Corella - YouTube[/ame]

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Hahaha that video was a crack up! But yes the biting looks crazy lol!

jlockhart29

Oct 27, 2011
I did not notice you had a Too before. Oh NO I'm not in ANY way sorry I got my girl!!! I love her to death and enjoy her personality! I had her on me helping to eat a microwave omlet at 2:30 this morning!! My wife and I are in our 40's and no kids. Our pets are our kids. So many people get a Too in the States and don't realize what they are getting into. I did and don't regret it a second!!
I did my research before I got her. Partially parent raised, allowed to fully fledge before clipping her, fresh veg and fruit diet with pellets. The reason I had her temporary clipped was so when she was little and being weaned she could be out in the public so different people would play with her and she would see all kinds of sights and sounds. So far she has been bullet proof! !

OP
Thingamagigs

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Jlockhart29, Yeah we are in our early 30's and my daughter is 7yo, I cant have anymore children... this bird will be a bird child LOL Not a child though, 'toos are terrible when they are coddled! lol

Copperarabian, Harold isnt the best behaved corella, but watching him reassured me I could deal with their "extra personality" LOL Galahs and corellas do go well together afterall ;) might cost a small fortune in your country though :p

OP
Thingamagigs

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
I put together the cage. Its 185cm tall :/ Its too tall!! Its enormous, I had it next to the big tv but it made it look small LOL so its now in the middle of the loungeroom. I wish it was a corner cage! It looks out of place anywhere I put it.

LivLaughLov

Jul 28, 2012
Media
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Baby Galah: Raime (F)
Either one of those babies are adorable!!! How exciting! I would love to see a picture of the activity stand you made out of a computer desk. :) We are trying to build an elevated floor/play gym for our Galah and need ideas.

sammybird

Nov 17, 2012
Fond du Lac, WI
Parrots
Sammy, 8 year-old cockatiel.
Cricket, 1 year-old parakeet.
They are very cute! and it is as they say "you don't choose your bird the bird chooses you!"

OP
Thingamagigs

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
OK :D Will do. I am looking at getting some frames made to help secure the aviary netting as well so when I have that figured out I will have photos of the flight room too. Though I got my aviator the other day and it looks SO tiny!

OP
Thingamagigs

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
I am still trying to figure out ways to make it more interesting. It feels like it is missing something. Sorry the photos arent very good, I think its because its rainy here and we have power saving lights (so they are dim lol) and my flash made everything look flat.

319092_292387494213845_1575036437_n.jpg

3482_292387437547184_384228092_n.jpg

His cage... its 10cm taller than I am, I am not happy about the height of it.

63091_292387217547206_333430174_n.jpg

Birdy grass tub :)

68263_292387164213878_1143456319_n.jpg

Here is an experiment ... lol I popped some of the sprouted seeds in a container with vege potting mix. I don't know what is what... I will have to do a bit of research to make sure the larger seedlings are fine for nibbling on.

207493_292387540880507_67579799_n.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts