My bird hates baths!

kcarly11

Aug 7, 2016
New York
Parrots
Black headed caique- Diego
Turquoise GCC- Rio
As you can probably tell from the title, my caique doesn't like baths. I don't want to force him to take baths, but is there any way to get him to like baths? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm just wondering if there's any way to gradually coax him into taking/liking baths.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Running the vacuum or playing a thunderstorm video for my birds seems to trigger an "I want a bath!" response in most of my flock.

OP
K

kcarly11

Aug 7, 2016
New York
Parrots
Black headed caique- Diego
Turquoise GCC- Rio
Diego is also scared of vacuums and gets really upset when he hears one unfortunately. But whenever he gets wet or misted he gets upset and try's to fly away or avoid the water.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
My conure hates misting... ONLY wants shallow water in a gigantic wok I got for him. He MAY enjoy a falling trickle from the faucet.

Maybe your bird had bad experience(s) with water or baths. I'd experiment with a shallow bowl or such... that worked for me. He seemed nervous about the sink, but accepted the wok.

Also, experiment with some gentle trickles from your cupped hand when he is near the shallow water in a wok or similar, and see if he likes that, maybe.

If all else fails, you might just give him a spray now and then for feather/skin conditioning.

jhsatx

Jul 23, 2016
Neat trick.
Took less than a minute for the stinker to get busy.

Running the vacuum or playing a thunderstorm video for my birds seems to trigger an "I want a bath!" response in most of my flock.[/QUOTE]

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Join the crowd, so many birds dislike bathing. I've had best success with a small mister, set to the finest spray possible. Start spraying a distance to let them observe, and gradually approach. With some, it is an eternal struggle to get them wet!

TexasWade

Mar 13, 2016
Denton Tx
Parrots
Mumble Quaker, hatched 5/25/16
My cockatiel doesn't like to get wet in any way! He did have about one or two good mist showers when I first got him but he hasn't enjoyed those for quite a while now. But he will tolerate being in the shower with me. He won't spread his wings or show any sign of enjoyment, but he'll endure any amount of showering if he can be on me. Thought I nearly drowned him once, he was sneezing out water for probably 10 minutes =/

After showering with him several times, and enduring the scratches on my shoulder, I've started leaving him on the shower curtain rod until I'm done washing. Then I'll sit in the tub with my back to the shower head and Dusty at the far end of the tub. He'll let me splash him and dribble water all over him, and he does get a good soaking. Never really participates but he doesn't try to get away either, he just closes his eyes and stands there until it's over, lol. I did try putting the stopper in so the water got deep enough in the tub to make him float once... ONCE! He made it really clear he wanted no part of that waterfowl activity. Left some nice scratches on me and a couple bird wing-prints on the steamy bathroom mirror. OK bud, no more floating. Got it.

Anyway, if your bird doesn't like to wash, maybe try letting him join you for a wash. Works for my Dusty bird anyway...

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
My advice is to stick with it, try misting, but don't NOT do it just b/c. My CAG hated getting misted at 4 mo, at 5 mo she loved it. She gets 3-5 baths a week. If it's really hot out she'll get two a day and up to 9 a week.

If you have a small cage keep the parrot in the cage, go outside, use a garden hose and use the mist nozzle. Start with a very fine mist from 10 feet away.

I can do it from two feet away now and even get with the shower nozzle once in awhile.

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
My budgies are butts. Only Ju, Ziggy, Lara, and Alice like getting bathed, and even then, I have to force them the first dozen or so squirts (mists). They like trying to bathe the in wet leafy greens, too. They also bathe in their water dish every now and then, too.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty is a shower bird, but is not above getting a mist and then diving into his big water dish. In the shower, I made a perch out of pvc and some flanges, epoxied into the corner at shoulder height. He gets the bounce off spray from me. Covered in vet tape, it's very secure and he will almost go into Amazon jungle bath mode there. If we mist him in the living room on a chair back, something we X2 a day in the hot weather, sometimes he will head straight to his big 7 inch water bowl and take a real bath, bird style. My last parrot,Max, loved sink baths, you just have to try different things, and don't give up on something, it may work later in his life.

Yazo

Nov 17, 2014
I had same problem with my male eclectus he hated when I tried to give him a bath.

I tried everything with him.I tried giving him a bath in the shower,I tried putting him in the bathtub and filled up a little to to his legs see if play with the water. I also tried misting him outside and I even put him near a sink and sprinkled a bit water on him. He didn't like it at all.

The only solution that work with me was to put him a bowl of water inside his cage, and he loves it,he flaps his wings and screams. But once in a while I mist him just to make sure his getting cleaned.

One my other eclectus love getting misted with water ,while my other bird love having a bath in the sink.

Each bird love different ways to have a bath. Try different ways and maybe your bird will like one of them.Good luck

Most Reactions