My bird hates visitors

Sfsal

Feb 20, 2017
My Jenday Conure buddy, gets very aggressive when visitors come over, is there anything I can do to train him to stop doing that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
My bird is the same, has been since he got his rooster hormones.
I have been unable to curb him, and he is fully flighted and fearless.
Some people he will tolerate (as long as they don't get near me)... others he will attack. I just have to cage him.
The Rb is a notoriously spoiled and poorly-managed bird (I admitted defeat a long time ago).
Maybe others will have better ideas!
Good for you for reaching out here. :)

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
When in doubt, put him in his cage if someone comes over. It's not worth taking a chance, they do get territorial, protective, and jealous. It's better to make sure he can't hurt anyone, especially if he's fully flighted.

As far as I know, the best way to get a bird used to new people is to socialize him as much as possible. If he's harness trained you can start taking him outside, walking him around the neighborhood, taking him to stores that allow birds like Petco, PetSmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Just try to expose him to new people as often as possible, that way he just learns to ignore them, or at least not fear them.

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
at first (and this may be a long while) keep him caged when you have guests, then whenever you have people over have them give him a treat through the bars.

There's no immediate answer but this is something for the meantime.

OP
Sfsal

Sfsal

Feb 20, 2017
at first (and this may be a long while) keep him caged when you have guests, then whenever you have people over have them give him a treat through the bars.

There's no immediate answer but this is something for the meantime.

Well, I was hoping they would be a good solution. I will try that but he is so puffed up and angry when anyone else comes in the house, it's kind of embarrassing

OP
Sfsal

Sfsal

Feb 20, 2017
Thank you Zephyrfly

OP
Sfsal

Sfsal

Feb 20, 2017
Some people he will tolerate (as long as they don't get near me)... others he will attack. I just have to cage him.
The Rb is a notoriously spoiled and poorly-managed bird (I admitted defeat a long time ago).

Thank you so much, I not only have to cage him but I have to cover him up to calm him down. He's just very protective of me

OP
Sfsal

Sfsal

Feb 20, 2017

Thank you so much, I not only have to cage him but I have to cover him up to calm him down. He's just very protective of me

I think a better word is jealous

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Your baby is doing his job to protect the flock! My JoJo was that way, watchdog mentality! What I did, was when anyone was coming over to the house without exception, he was to be in his cage! I did not want him to associate someone walking in the door with having to be locked up! The rule of the house was, if you walked in the door you were to walk over to the treat bowl, take a small piece of walnut and go over to the cage and give it to JoJo! Whenever we have company now, JoJo puts on a complete show, dancing and making all sorts of crazy sounds! I think I got real lucky on that one!!

OP
Sfsal

Sfsal

Feb 20, 2017
That is awesome! He loves Walmart so I'll try that and get back to you, thanks so much for the advice. Love this forum!

OP
Sfsal

Sfsal

Feb 20, 2017
*walnuts* lol!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts